Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Sasanian King Kavad I

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,471Next Topic  
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2016  3:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Adding another Sasanian coin to growing collection is another drachm of Kavad I from the 2nd reign.

Kavad the son of Peroz and father of Khusro I ruled from 488 - 496 and again from 498 - 531 AD. This coin dates to the year 14 of his 2nd regin @513 AD.
AR Drachm
Kavad I
yr 14, 2nd regin
MY mint, Southern Iraq, Norther district, Meshan
31mm x 4.1g x 3h


Sasanian-King-Kavad-I

Sasanian-King-Kavad-I
Rest in Peace
moxking's Avatar
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2016  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example. I love those ancients that you can date to a single year or a very few years.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2016  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34563 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2016  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Sassanian pick-up!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Kamnaskires's Avatar
United States
7067 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2016  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kamnaskires to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on another Sassanian, Ron.

Got a question for you - you may have tackled this one before. (I remember a post where you were discussing some of the numbers of coins in your collection)

Of your Eastern kingdom coins, I am assuming - perhaps incorrectly - that you have more Sassanians than other areas (Indo-Greek, Indo-Scythian, Indo-Parthian, Elymais, etc.)

Can you guesstimate, in terms of percentages, approximately what percentage of each area you own from the Eastern stuff? Is Sassanian, for example, 30%, Indo-Greek 20%, and so on? I am curious to just get a sense of what the hierarchy is from the Eastern stuff you have collected.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2016  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indo-Greek about 40%. Sassanian @35% and all others 10-20%. I would have to say the Indo-Greeks are probably my favorite but they can be expensive, while the later Sassanians, Kavad, Hormazd IV, and the Khusro's are still inexpensive and a mint set is fairly easy to complete. While I am not a religious person per-say I also like coins that have a religious theme, whether Buddhist, Christian, etc...
Pillar of the Community
Kamnaskires's Avatar
United States
7067 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2016  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kamnaskires to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, didn't realize you had slightly more Indo-Greek than Sassanian. Thanks for the breakdown, Ron.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2016  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only by a few more coins.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,471Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Forums