1899 The Philadelphia Record Newspaper Medal
The Philadelphia Record was a daily newspaper published in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from 1877 until 1947. It became among the most circulated papers in the city and was at some points the circulation leader. On the Reverse is Independence Hall and reads Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence dated 1776.
Its printing facilities were lauded as modern and both its foreign and domestic reporting as accurate and prompt. The Record's headquarters were at 917-919 Chestnut Street, the paper was acquired by the Wanamakers in 1898.
It was the first newspaper in Philadelphia to use the Linotype machine.
There was great competition between The Philadelphia Inquirer and The Philadelphia Record, the Inquirer was originally supportive of the Democratic Party, but The Inquirer's political affiliation eventually shifted toward the Whig Party and then toward the Republican Party.
During the late 1930s, the Record, a Democratic Party-aligned publication led by publisher J. David Stern, was seen as a voice for the executives in both the federal and state governments.
The Record had a reputation for social activism. It ran stories that broke up bogus medical colleges, stopped the sale of dead bodies, campaigned against Sunday blue laws, and recommended going off the gold standard. Once, outraged at the high price of coal, the newspaper bought the output of a coal mine and sold it at discounted prices to the public.
The Farmers National Bank of Reading Pennsylvania
So-called Half Dollar
This medal or token was good for 50 cents off the rental of a safe deposit box rental for the first year when redeemed. The Farmers National Bank was established in 1814.
Prior to that it was an Inn at "Where George Washington Lodged" in the "Oldest building in Reading PA, the "Federal Inn."
On November 13, 1793, two travel-worn voyagers who had just arrived were the dignified President
George Washington and his secretary, Bartholomew Dandridge. This visit might be considered sufficient distinction for a landward tavern but more honors were to follow.
On October 1st, 1794 Mr. Washington again appeared, this time in coach of state with military escort befitting the Commander-in-Chief embarked upon a campaign against the Whiskey Rebels of the western counties. During his visit a military parade was held under the command of Colonel Nicholas Lotz, and Washington viewed the troops from the second story window over the doorway.

Later the bank, a two-story historic bank building of concrete construction, built in 1927 was built on that site at 443 Penn Street in PENN SQUARE.

(The building with the flag on top in this postcard and shown on the front of this medal)
The imposing granite building near the Northwest corner of 5th and Penn Streets, built and once occupied by Farmers' National Bank, is not only a financial landmark in the history of the City, but the land which it occupies is also historical as being home to what was for many years one of the best known taverns from 1763-1814
At some point this became The Citizens Bank and I have found that much of the square has since been put up for sale for development.
