| Author |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,009 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
710 Posts |
Edited by Eyes4Error 12/10/2018 7:30 pm
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts |
To my eye it appears normal. The 40'S seem to have a few dates that appeared rather heavy.
Dan
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
710 Posts |
Mostly what caught my eye was the bottom of the tail of the "9" on the date... I noticed the same heaviness on the DDO's listed. My other 40's coins dis not have the same shape or thickness. The other think I was looking at was the letters on Liberty they seem have a curve to them like " ) " instead of straight " | "... Guess I am seeing things...
Edited by Eyes4Error 12/10/2018 7:51 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts |
In your second picture the reverse looks like it has some slight ghosting of Abes bust on it
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
5887 Posts |
Hello. I am unsure of whether this is a DDO or not, But I would recommend you look through Variety Vista, Wexlers website, and Copper Coins for any Die markers you can match and the thickness on the 9. Good luck and happy hunting! -CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6196 Posts |
It's a class 6 DDO. Can't say for sure which one, but pretty sure it is a DDO. Check the lower right wheat and see if there is a die crack from the wheat to the rim just below the level of the A. That's DDO-003 and probably the only one I could reasonably hope to help with an ID on. It is quite likely that a number of the class 6 dies have yet to be fully listed as there seem to be a lot more floating around than accountable for the few that are listed.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
62064 Posts |
I was leaning more towards 002 http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20L...0PDDO002.htmCheck to see if any markers match. 002 &003 are similar, but the upright on the '4' seems stronger on the 002? Also the '9' tail is wider like 002. But with coin in hand you might check each device for an exact match. There must be something that is different in order for it to be a different die?
Edited by coop 12/10/2018 9:42 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
710 Posts |
OK... so I am not crazy after-all... LOL
I will have to give this coin a relook here in a bit...
I was leaning DDO-003 or DDO-002... but something about it seemed more like 003.
I was looking for that mark below the "9' of the tail like 002 shows (stage B) Although stage C does not have it... so I guess it was just a contact hit.
I feel like I did look for that reverse die crack, but it is so worn down I didn't see anything... but I will give it another look anyways.
I'll keep you posted!
Yes Mark... there is indeed ghosting on the reverse ;)
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
710 Posts |
Ok - took a better look... and I am still not clear if it is DDO-002 or 003? UGH... nothing looks absolute to me as many of the devices are worn. I am stumped.  No Die Crack on reverse BTW...
Edited by Eyes4Error 12/11/2018 12:30 pm
|
| |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,009 |
|