Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

2019 P Uncirculated Nickels With Progression Of A Die Crack Found

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 871Next Topic  
New Member
DrThickFinger's Avatar
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  5:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DrThickFinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi, I was directed to this forum by one of your members.

I found a large amount of nickels with the same die crack in an uncirculated bank box. In the entire box I found roughly 350 of them in the various stages of the die crack. I have been able to narrow it down to four distinct stages that are below. I did some research and I was able to find an ebay listing with a circulated coin with the exact same error, so I know that this is not contained to my one box.
Here is the listing: https://(Offsite URL shortening not allowed-2018-09-28)/sjA1Vj

The box I have is dated July 11th and was pulled from a bank in Ohio.

Stage 1: Slight crack with no building contact.

2019-P-Uncirculated-Nickels-With-Progression-Of-A-Die-Crack-Found

Stage 2: Crack extends to make contact with Monticello.

2019-P-Uncirculated-Nickels-With-Progression-Of-A-Die-Crack-Found

Stage 3: A large rectangle appears on the crack.

2019-P-Uncirculated-Nickels-With-Progression-Of-A-Die-Crack-Found

Stage 4: Crack fully forms.

2019-P-Uncirculated-Nickels-With-Progression-Of-A-Die-Crack-Found


At first, it looks like a tree or bush is added to the design when looking at it with the naked eye. Stages 1-3 are fairly faint and would be worn away in circulation, but Stage 4 is fully formed and will stand up to circulation.

What would you do with all of the coins that I have? Has anyone else found any of these? Any input would help, Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3207 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detective work. I've seen similar from uncirculated boxes but not often. I'd assemble various sets that demonstrate the progression, auction a few and keep others. Not worth a whole lot but interesting nonetheless.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
GrapeCollects's Avatar
United States
8946 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome welcome. I'm glad to see you joined up here. You're from r/CRH right?

Thanks for posting it here. It will help alot of people learn.
Rest in Peace
moxking's Avatar
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply


That's the type of information that transforms a collector into a Numismatist.

Sharing knowledge is our goal. Really amazing first post.
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79379 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! Nice finds and good work!
Errers and Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Greasy Fingers's Avatar
United States
7343 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you have 2 different dies there.IMO..photos 1 and 4 go together, as well as photos 2 and 3 go together. Because of where the cracks meet the building, 1 and 4 are much lower compared to 2 and 3...But still a neat posting... to CCF looking forward to your participation
Edited by Greasy Fingers
09/10/2019 11:43 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196100 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 871Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Forums