Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1951 King George VI 1 Cent, Thin Planchet, PMD Or Something Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,198Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1189 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I got a few rolls I was expecting in the mail today and I came across this one, at first I thought it was PMD but after weighing it and seeing how thin the planchet actually is I'm not so sure.

I was hoping someone might have an idea of what this might be.

Coin weighs 3 Grams with a diameter of 18.45mm and a thickness of 1.45mm

original weight should be 3.24 with a diameter of 19.05mm and an average thickness of 1.55mm to 160mm

The scratch marks on the rim I thought were from maybe a file or something, however that still does not explain why it is so thin.

1951-King-George-VI-1-Cent,-Thin-Planchet,-PMD-Or-Something-Else?
1951-King-George-VI-1-Cent,-Thin-Planchet,-PMD-Or-Something-Else?

1951-King-George-VI-1-Cent,-Thin-Planchet,-PMD-Or-Something-Else?
Finding and discovering modern Canadian doubled die varieties since 2018.

2023 Recent Publications:
Modern Canadian Doubled Die Varieties - First Edition
PDF & Paperback https://www.mcddv.ca - (New Site, Second Edition, Registry & Services coming fall 2026)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5342 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone probably just try to save a damaged penny by filing it kind of round again
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5659 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin that was an experiment for putting in coca-cola for an extended time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1189 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys, I figured as much but I don't venture off into the planchet errors too often unless its obvious so I wasn't too sure, Much appreciated!
Finding and discovering modern Canadian doubled die varieties since 2018.

2023 Recent Publications:
Modern Canadian Doubled Die Varieties - First Edition
PDF & Paperback https://www.mcddv.ca - (New Site, Second Edition, Registry & Services coming fall 2026)
Moderator
Learn More...
SPP-Ottawa's Avatar
Canada
10477 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim has been ground off... I have some awesome examples where folks turned a round 1-cent into a lovely 8-sided, 10-sides and even 12-sided coin...

When the rim is removed, the coin "looks" thinner (at the level of the fields).
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,198Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Forums