| Author |
Replies: 11 / Views: 1,011 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6196 Posts |
Kinda guessing with the title for this one. Looks broadstruck although pretty much the size of a normal coin. And not sure how it became an incomplete planchet or if this qualifies as a ragged clip or not. More or less assuming that it was a major gas bubble issue that blew out part of the planchet before or during the strike. Comments most welcome on what this thing is. 1983 Lincoln Memorial cent mint error - incomplete planchet 2.08g  
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2156 Posts |
I think you got pretty spot on with the title. Super great looking coin. Love the ragged clip, looks so cool.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
8946 Posts |
Ragged clip with collar shimmy?
Cool no matter what
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts |
I think ragged clips would happen before the upsetting mill, the explanations I saw were blanks cut from the end of sheets or blanks cut from a spot with a natural fissure.
The example on err-ref also has a rim like yours, maybe because the planchet is a different size it is still in the collar but you only get a rim where it closest before strike. Maybe off-center would be a better descriptor.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6196 Posts |
End of sheet is certainly a possibility, and there is a sort of linear look to the clip. But can't see it being off center as all the devices are (or would be) present.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts |
Mmm true, though I don't think it would be classified as broadstruck, other than the two bits either side of his head it doesn't look like it even made it to the rim.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts |
But I'm sure you'd know better than me.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts |
Very nice, reminds me of a small stone scraper. Might look better on an IH.. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5888 Posts |
Very nice coin. Love that ragged clip. The diameter holds the answer. I'm going to say the diameter across the unclipped part is normal (19mm). That would mean it was struck in the collar since there was no expansion.
It seems like the reason it is slightly uncentered is because of the missing metal at the clip. That part of the planchet ended up closest to the collar resulting in it being uncentered.
I don't think I've seen a ragged clip on a Zincoln before.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2386 Posts |
Could it be the last 1983 1C FS-401 Obv Die Damage and Rev Cud before the die exploded? Seems like the damage lines up to the pic I see on PCGS. Interesting find. smat
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts |
Always look forward to your finds.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3237 Posts |
Looks like the plating covers the ragged parts, so seems to me it can't be related to the strike. Very interesting!
|
| |
Replies: 11 / Views: 1,011 |
|