Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Question About LMC Doubled Die.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 664Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
911 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  6:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
For all of you renowned error and variety enthusiast,I pose a question.
I cannot recall the specific year LMC,but I am thinking in the 90's. There is a listing for a DDR in the center bay with an upside down doubling of the statue just below the intended strike. A reverse image of the statue underneath.
This anomaly contradicts mechanics and methods that I have come to understand through personal research about the process, mostly as explained by many of you in this forum among other sources.
OK, so I guess my question is; How is the upside down image created on the working die?
I have also seen reverse varieties with diagonal doubled columns. Attributed examples @ CC,VV, WEX.
Just hoping for an explanation. Not that I think I have one (if you do,I would love to see it) but only for my knowledge.
Anxiously awaiting responses.
I am quite certain that someone out there knows the varities that I am referring to.
Pillar of the Community
Tanman2001's Avatar
United States
4424 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're referring to 2000 WDDR-020: http://www.doubleddie.com/426401.html

I believe the explanation for these is a mint employee stopped the hubbing process part way through. And when the die was replaced to continue hubbing, whether intentional or unintentional, it was replaced with a 180 degree rotation (upside down) relative to how it was placed originally.

Another example of this is the 1990 DDR-001: http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...0PDDR001.htm
Although on this example it would have most likely been done with the multiple-squeeze hubbing process (The mint switched to the single-squeeze hubbing process in 1996-1997), which might explain the difference in appearance and where the doubling shows.
Edited by Tanman2001
07/01/2021 7:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question-About-LMC-Doubled-Die.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 664Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Forums