Hello all, just looking through some loose change today and came across this coin. I've searched and searched in all my normal places to identify error coins, but have not seen this error. There is definitive separation on the Serifs on the M and I in mission and slight doubling on the first S.
Just wanted to get the forums advice on if it's a true DDR. Thanks in advance everyone!!!
Hey thanks for the input. I too originally thought it was Machine Doubling. I assume anything I find is machine doubled. After looking closer at it though, the doubled areas are not flat, there is height and texture to them and the serifs are also completely separated. I haven't been able to get a good picture of the areas in question. My camera is not set up for macro. If this is a Machine Doubling, it looks different then the 1,000's of machine doubles I've seen. I'll try to get a shot that shows the height and separation of the serifs.
There are no DDR's on this area of the reverses. The DDR's on these coins are on the central areas of the design. These devices are incuse on the coin. So slight MD creates the enlargement that you are seeing. 70% of these coins have mild to stronger looking Machine Doubling. None are doubled dies. When looking at the Wexler files, you will find that this area has no DDRs. Just Machine Doubling. Never will you see these listed as a DDR. Just Machine Doubling.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use