| Author |
Replies: 15 / Views: 797 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6440 Posts |
Here's a fairly scarce coin I recently acquired. What are your thoughts on grade and quality?  
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
27514 Posts |
That's a real beauty, Jaobler - anyone would be proud to own it. There appears to be slight wear on the high points of Liberty's hair, the eagle's neck and wingtips, and the fletching of the the arrows. Not sure if this is characteristic of the series, but without knowing I'd give it an AU58.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6871 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3848 Posts |
AU-50. Missing some luster but I don't see hairlines.
Suffering from bust half fever. Want to learn how to attribute early half dollars by die variety? Click Here: http://goccf.com/t/434955Shoot me a PM if you are looking to sell bust halves.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1870 Posts |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12057 Posts |
AU53 Slight wear; luster preserved in protected areas
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890 "Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1789 Posts |
I'd feel happy calling it a 53.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
16696 Posts |
Nice Jaobler! Is there a small and large date version of this like the Large Cent?
Solid AU55 IMHO
swcoin.ecrater.com
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6440 Posts |
Quote: Is there a small and large date version of this like the Large Cent? No, but there are narrow mill and broad mill (a.k.a. large diameter) varieties known. The broad mill coins are much scarcer.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
3807 Posts |
That's a very nice example, Jaobler. I'd say AU55 on the grade.
Member of SPMC, FCCB, ANA and ANS. My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
Edited by hokiefan_82 06/08/2023 12:05 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1101 Posts |
Very nice coin. I'm at AU55.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18924 Posts |
I'm between XF45 and AU50. reverse imo is not strong enough for AU
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6440 Posts |
The NGC grade is AU-55 and the coin is the scarcer Broad Mill variety (which NGC refers to as "Large Diameter". It has semi-prooflike surfaces, few contact marks, and no hairline scratches. It's a keeper! 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18924 Posts |
the slab photo is quite a but better than the original. I think its graded correctly at AU55.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37154 Posts |
Nice coin, properly graded.
|
| |
Replies: 15 / Views: 797 |
|