| Author |
Replies: 14 / Views: 1,188 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6904 Posts |
I picked this coin on ebay, and was really pumped to start taking pictures today. Almost the entirety of PLURIBUS is visible as a clash below the chin. Even the E is partly visible in the field, which is fairly unusual. Also visible are the buffalo's neck hump below the feathers, and a bit of the buffalo's legs in front of the eye. This clash is similar to TDC-5c-1925S-01 on MAD Die Clashes, but not quite as strong on the left side. However, unlike that listing, this nickel has a visible clash on the reverse die.    Edited by Brandmeister 07/05/2024 4:20 pm
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4433 Posts |
I've seen similar clashes on other date Buff's. Most have been dated in the early teens. This effect has been deemed the "whiskers variety."
IMHO, die clashes are low on the error totem pole. That said, this is a strong example of the error; especially so, given the excessive wear the coin possesses. Good catch!
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196100 Posts |
Nice find! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6904 Posts |
Quote: IMHO, die clashes are low on the error totem pole. Perhaps so, but I've only really been collecting coins for a year. I'm working my way up from the bottom—doubled dies, clipped planchets, and now die clashes. Spend small, learn lots.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196100 Posts |
Quote: Spend small, learn lots. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4433 Posts |
Quote: I'm working my way up from the bottom .... That's how I started collecting, too. Now, about 70 years later, I'm principally focused on damaged coins & tokens, a.k.a. counterstamps. Akin to common error coins, in effect, counterstamps are often looked down upon by many collectors. To be clear, I wasn't being critical of your post and/or personal interest in this type of error. I was simply commenting on die clashes in general; this, to my humble experience. To each his own, my friend .... 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2355 Posts |
NIce one. I like clashes.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107670 Posts |
that is a great clash - you can even read the letters under the chin - usually they just look like whiskers..
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79381 Posts |
Wow, that's one severe Die Clash! 
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6904 Posts |
Quote: To be clear, I wasn't being critical of your post and/or personal interest in this type of error. Yep, I understood that. It's the Internet, one cannot be thin skinned about the tiniest bit of shade.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
10601 Posts |
Very nice clash - 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2604 Posts |
I have quite a few of this die clashes and most only show 3-4 letters, so this is a really nice example.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107670 Posts |
I agree, I was a bit happy when I found mine on an MS grade coin, but it sure isn't as strong as this one is. Just imaging how it looked when the coin was not worn.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1390 Posts |
That is an awesome example!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5896 Posts |
Beautiful example. Congrats Brand.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
|
| |
Replies: 14 / Views: 1,188 |
|