Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

P In Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,837Next Topic  
New Member

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2010  10:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Danahs09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Ok I'm new to this forum and I'm not very Knowledgeable when it comes to currency so thats why I am here I received in change today a nickel with a capital letter P stamped into the head of Jefferson its a D monticello nickel from 1964

P-In-Nickel?
Moderator
Learn More...
vermontensium's Avatar
United States
16696 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2010  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF! It's a modern day counterstamp.
swcoin.ecrater.com
New Member
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2010  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Danahs09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I've looked into any idea as to why or what purpose the P counter stamp would be used for I mean it doesn't change the value of the coin so I hit a wall when I try to google anything related to it and in the forum itself maybe the p stands for some sort of cult? lol idk
Pillar of the Community
ExoGuy's Avatar
United States
4433 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2010  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no way of telling what the P was intended to represent ... Philadelphia, popsicle, pudding? Back in the early 1800's, gunsmiths used the letter P on their firearms to indicate that a gun worked. That P represented Proof.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 2,837Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Forums