Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937 D 3 Legged Buffalo Nickel.real & Grade?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,607Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  02:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add racingjoe66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody, I could use some input on this nickle. Does it look real or fake? The rim has a beveled edge all the way around on both sides, it is a bit off center the bevel at the same spot on both sides. The beveled edge is very precise and like it is almost very sharp.

If it looks to be real, what is a guesstimated grade? Thanks for any input on this coin. If more pictures are needed let me know and I will do my best.

Thanks for any and all input

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, a poorly done fake. None of the die markers are there to a genuine example. Do to die wear, there are three markers that need to be there. The "pee" stream below the Bisons belly, the deteriorated hind leg from excessive die polishing, and there should also be separation noticeable, although sometimes more subtle in some examples I've seen with the smallest feather from the hair and neckline. The first two are not apparent on the example you posted. The last, is slightly noticeable on your example, but this just implies a later die state obverse from die polishing.

Also, there should be a portion of the front leg still visible, there is no hoof remaining on your example.

Edit: no comment on the bevel, not sure what someone was trying to accomplish here. Thickness also looks off. A cast?

Hard pass on this one.
Edited by Ty2020b
09/05/2021 02:25 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add racingjoe66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How sure are you it's a fake? The P & U aren't touching the back...? I was told that because of the bevelled edge issue caused by the upset mill, that it causes a lighter print on the coins and so that is why the kneck one is lightly there and that the pee and leg could be missing or faint.... I'm in no way any expert,just trying to figure this coin out. I thought it was a fake too at first. But I've kinda questioned it.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add racingjoe66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weights 5 grams exactly and measures 21.2 mm across and I compared to a regular 4 legged 1937 nickel I have and both were the same. The thickness looks the same on both except at the very edge of it. The 3 legged one is a hair thicker as there is a slight rim around it or lip on both sides like its dished a little bit. Any and all help is greatly appreciated
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 110% it's a fake.

The logic in their explanation is flawed. How can a weak strike cause a lack of noticeable Die Deterioration in the hind leg? It's a die state issue, not a strike issue. Compare this example to known genuine examples, pay close attention to the missing front leg, or rather what is still visible of that leg. There is a consistency there with what is still remaining. Not the case on the one posted. If this is a modified 37-d, someone went overboard!

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add racingjoe66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hear what your saying. I've looked but can't find any pictures of any known fake ones, can only find pictures of modified ones that show obvious grinding or polishing marks or the P & U touching the back. Which it doesn't look like this one was ground or polished.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add racingjoe66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/26132

The lipped rim is kinda like this one in the link above but not as obvious but is there and it is on both sides and with the bevelled edge / lip going downwards to the edge and makes the edge narrow around the circumference. It's odd for sure.

Anyone near NE Iowa able to check it out?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14759 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is clearly a counterfeit.
There are known markers on both the obverse and reverse on a genuine three leg nickel, none of which show on your coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20684 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To bad it's not real. Nice coin though.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67902 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clearly a fake, agree. As noted, lacks the die markers.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8095 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the risk of piling on, I'm thinking fake.
Learn More...
United States
38156 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bevel is irrelevant.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obvious tooling of a normal 37D, looks like it was placed in some kind of rotatable vice. Maybe some kind of engravers power tool then polished, especially in the fields of the reverse.
Looks like the tool made an Ooops under the Indians chin.
I suspect it was centered and spun to grind off the rim to edge at an angle too.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add racingjoe66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to get the best pictures I can using my cheap cell phones 4x zoom and a magnifying glass under it. It looks rough under the buffalo and looks to me it matches all the way around the coin. I don't see any polishing. If someone can help point out it would be greatly appreciated. As for the Indian top back part of the kneck, you can feel the indents with a finger nail there and see them in person, just the camera is barely picking it up.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67902 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coming at it from a different angle, your pics suggest that the coin is far too bright for its wear level (low/med VF). Always a warning sign.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/05/2021 12:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14759 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No matter how many pictures you take is not going
to alter the fact that it is not a genuine 3 leg Buffalo.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 2,607Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: