Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finished My Small Cents Type Set!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,147Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  5:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am so happy to announce that I completed my USA small cent type collection! Nothing here is super valuable or impressive, and I only identify three types of IHC (1859 No Shield, 1860-64 type, and the 1864 to 1909 type)! In making this post I realize how terrible I am at photographing modern DCAM coins!

This was fun and easy to assemble (I could want to upgrade the 1857 Flying Eagle cent one day--but I still like it!).

I think it will be a long time, if ever, before I have anything remotely similar for large cents. I think I will need to start seeking out lower graded coins :).

Edited by Adam590
08/28/2022 5:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1412 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Congradulations!
What a great feeling to finish a set...what a relief...ahhh
So...what else are you working on?
Looking fwd to your next accomplishment!
WTG!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
5623 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize a Seated Liberty dime was part of the set! But otherwise beautiful set!
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto: Haha, thanks for pointing out that I uploaded the wrong image by accident. Hopefully all the images are correct now.

@smat45: Thanks! I finished nickels too--Eventually large cents, Half Cents, dimes, and silver dollars! With dimes I am only missing a small Capped Bust dime (waiting for a nice one at a good price), and 4 of the 6 Seated Liberty variations (I have only the no stars and legend without arrows). For Half Cents, I am missing the 1793, which will also take a while. For large cents, I only have Draped Bust, Coronet, and Braided Hair. It will be a long journey!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48550 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75184 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful set indeed!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20605 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, some nice coins in there.
Now to have a go at Mercurys or Roosies, these would look good as a set in higher grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8758 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins and congratulations on finishing it.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2562 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not only did you complete the set, you did it with stunning, high-grade coins! Congrats and well done!!

Quote:
I think it will be a long time, if ever, before I have anything remotely similar for large cents. I think I will need to start seeking out lower graded coins

If you take the time to seek out the higher grade early cents, it will be worth it. It may take years to assemble, but you'll have a collection that you will be extremely proud of. And your coins will be matching!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
557 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on a job well done! Your set is real handsome. You should be very proud!

I especially like your 1859 Indian. What a strong strike!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1076 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2022  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully all the images are correct now.

I still see a photo of 10 cents + a duplicate image of the reverse of the 1919 cent.

About your collection, it's great. I especially like the flying eagle and the steel center (by the way, I also need to find these coins in PCGS for my collection).

As for the big cents, it is always a difficult job that requires not so much money as time to find the sample you need. The main thing is to take your time and you will succeed in this direction as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9238 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2022  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set - congratulations on completing it.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
China
85 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2022  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow nice flying eagle.Strong strike!

I guess it is 60.
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Slerk, this surprises me--for me it looks correct. I did edit the post a few times to make sure I got the correct pictures. I don't know what happened here so that you don't see the updated pictures.

Thanks for the comments. I will certainly be patient. I was able to get nice, lustrous, and colorful 1818 and an 1848 cents at decent prices. Same with a low AU Draped Bust cent. I think for the Flowing Hair/Liberty Cap cents I want to go for the 1794 one--a nice VF(30) could look great, as would an EF coin. For the Classic Head cent, I am thinking about a similar grade range. I don't even want to think about the Chain cent for now, haha...
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2022  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive set!
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson | Coffee, Corvettes, Coins & the CCF what could be better?
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,147Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: