Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,107 / Views: 52,166Next Topic
Page: of 74
Learn More...
United States
26120 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2023  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some amazing coins posted for this decade and it sounds like we have at least one more on its way. Keep them coming!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4130 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2023  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and it sounds like we have at least one more on its way
Indeed! Though I wouldn't call it amazing...

Byzantine Empire, civic issue of Cherson
Basil I, ca. 867-882 AD
Sear Byzantine 1719 var, Esty Cherson E16

Obverse: B-like letter, pellet on each side
Reverse: cross on steps, pellet on each side [almost illegible on this example]
15 mm, 1.75 grams
Learn More...
United States
26120 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2023  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well we can agree to disagree, cuz that looks pretty amazing to me. Thx for adding it to the thread and let's drop back to the 850s starting in the morning.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
540 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2023  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archbishop Wulfhere Phase IIc Styca, 854-900

York. Bronze, 1.06g. +VLFHEDARED. +VVLFRED retrograde (moneyer Wulfred) (S 871).
Learn More...
United States
26120 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2023  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Fals from the Tahirid Dynasty that was issued by Tahir b. 'Abd Allah. It was minted in Al Shash (Tashkent, Uzbekistan) and is dated AH 241, which corresponds to 855-856 AD.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
26120 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2023  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like we might be stopping at two entries for this decade. Let's give it until tomorrow morning and then drop back to the decade of the 840s.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5625 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This temple denier of the Kingdom of Middle Francia issued under Lothaire I has a date range starting at 840 (Numista has it as 840-850). While it was attributed as "unknown mint" when I bought it, I believe current thinking is that it was struck at Lyon.
Morrison#580-587, Numista#321074

Obv: Cross with pellet in each corner. LVTHIARIVS IIIP
Rev: Temple. XPISTIANA RELGO
Edited by tdziemia
01/25/2023 09:01 am
Learn More...
United States
26120 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2023  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Northumbrian Styca, somewhat similar to the one posted by @john, except that the date range is 841 to 844 AD. The obv inscription is + E DELRED R while the rev inscription is +LEOFDEGN. I have attributed it as Spink 865, North 188, and Pirie 236.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
540 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2023  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suddenly, there are lots of coins I could post. This is the time when the Northumbrian Anglo-Saxons struck a lot of coins, and especially Æthelred II, not to be confused with Æthelred II the Unready, 978-1016. Both the Northumbrian Æthelred II and Æthelred II the Unready had two reigns.

Spence's styca is Æthelred II from his first reign (c841-844), moneyer Leofthegn. Æthelred II also ruled c844-850. The gap in 844 was usurper Rædwulf's reign, but Rædwulf was killed by Vikings and nothing else is known about him.

The dates are all very approximate. Some references give Aethelred II's reigns as 854-858 and 858-862.

Redwulf Styca, 841-844

York. Bronze, 0.91g. Double struck. Small cross; [RED]VVLF. Small cross; [+VEN]DELBER[HT] (Wendelberht moneyer). Found near Beverley, East Yorkshire. Portable Antiquities Scheme: YORYM-ACCFC3 https://finds.org.uk/database/artef...rd/id/831888
Learn More...
United States
26120 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2023  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there are lots of coins I could post.

I'm glad to hang out here in this decade and let you post 'em all @john! Just let me know when you are either out of coins to post or don't want to post any more.

I have one other coin that was minted starting in this decade. Here is a Denier of the French City State of Melle that dates to between 840 and 877 AD. It was minted in POteiers under the authority of Charles the Bald. The obv inscription is +MET+VLLO and the rev inscription is +CARLVS REX FR. I have attributed it as Roberts 982 and Greier 948.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
540 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2023  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I'll post them all as they all look rather similar, and there are more for other decades.

This is Osberht, who killed Æthelred II, perhaps in 849, 850 or 862. Osberht was deposed by Ælla (who might've been his brother) but they joined forces to defend against the Vikings. They were both killed and the Vikings controlled the area from then on.

Osberht Phase IIc Styca, 849-867

Northumbria. Copper, 0.83g. +OSBERCHT REX outward and partially retrograde. +EANNLE (moneyer Eanwulf) (SCBI 69, 1015 this coin; S 869).
Ex Tony Abramson. Found at Thirkleby, North Yorkshire.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1275 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2023  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice deniers, Spence and tdziemia, and interesting stycas, JohnConduitt.

In West Francia, Charles the Bald rules, and mints. Here is a temple type denier from Paris.

West Francia, 840-864, 1 denier. King Charles the Bald, mint Paris. Silver, 1.69 g, 21 mm. Roberts 1313.

Obverse: CARLVS REX FR (Kar[o]lus Rex Francorum / Charles, King of the Franks).
Reverse: PARISII CIVITAS (City of Paris).

Paris is a lovely city. I am sure my ancestor , the viking Ragnar Lodbroke, who put Paris under siege in 845 AD, thought so too.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
540 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2023  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more. This is Æthelred II's second reign.

Æthelred II Phase IIci Second Reign Styca, 843-850

Northumbria. Copper, 0.71g. +EDILRED REX. +EARDVVLF (moneyer Eardwulf) (S 868).
Learn More...
United States
26120 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2023  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok very nice additions! We are up to seven coins posted for this decade. Let's wait until Sunday morning to drop back so that we can accommodate any additional coins from the 840s.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
540 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2023  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More of these for the 830s...

Wigmund was Archbishop of York sometime between 837 and 858. There are no links between his coins and regal issues so sequencing them is difficult, but they end by the time his moneyer Coenred appears on Redwulf's coins.

Archbishop Wigmund Styca, 837-846

York. Copper, 1.05g. Central cross; VIGMVND. Rosette of pellets; EDELHELM (moneyer Ethelhelm/Aethelhelm) (S 870).
Page: of 74
Previous TopicReplies: 1,107 / Views: 52,166Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: