Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Jefferson Nickels Ebay Lot Is Cheating?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  12:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok. I got a Dansco 8113 for Christmas and I regrettably only have a handful of holes filled. With such a great album I don't want to put anything less than superior quality in there, so I've resigned myself to buying all the proof nickels for this album. I have a number of mint UNC and proof sets, but when I originally started buying them I didn't think I was going to do an album like this, so I never considered buying some to break open. Oh well.

Therefore, I will be buying my way into this set. Not a big deal, I want the best I can afford anyway.

My question is to you... and there is I realize no right answer... is it cheating to buy lots on eBay such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-Proof-...em19c692fa69

and by "cheating" I mean... why even bother collecting if you're just going to finish large chunks of the set in one fell swoop? Where's the joy of the hunt there?

HOWEVER, the ones being offered are usually the more easily obtained, so one could argue that there's really not a "hunt" since they're not hard to find anyway. Also paying for a lot instead of individual specimens makes more financial sense generally. And getting the easy ones out of the way with a smaller investment facilitates going after the harder ones.

I dunno. I still have a hard time paying $88 for 46 nickels, even if they [i]are[i] proofs. Especially if I can't see them before they're shipped.

Again, I don't expect a definitive answer, but opinions are always respected. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7723 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  12:43 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were a "series" collector, I would not consider this "cheating". After-all, you can pick the ones you like from a "batch" of coins, and sell the remainders, if any. It's usually less expensive to buy in "bulk" lots than individuals.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Edited by oih82w8
02/22/2012 12:44 am
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NYBrian84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is cheating, either. I would view it like this, if I could save money on the more common coins, that's just more money I can afford toward the more uncommon ones.
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone says to, and I sure wish I did years ago, buy the most expensive coins first.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the logic. Next question. Is $88 for 46 proof nickels a good deal? Red Book puts those at $2 - $7 each for PF-65. Of course that's high-end retail and I doubt the lot would come with the highest grades. I think it's a fair deal but am not yet ready to part with 90 bucks for $2.30 face of modern coinage, proof or not.

numismo - why buy the most expensive ones first? And why do you wish you had?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never considered proofs to be "real" coins in this instance. More of a nuisance anyway- unless you are getting all deep cameo or cameo coins pre-1964- there's really nothing that differentiates one proof from the next. And besides, if you are putting the coins in a binder- it doesn't really matter if the coin is PR-66 or Pr-70. As for the business strikes- I'd say, yes, this is where you want to hunt down the best examples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is cheating, since buying in bulk is cheapest. I personally don't put any proofs in albums/holders/folders, since I prefer them as a proof set for that year. The Mint has been selling them as a set, at least since 1936, so I like to keep them that way.

I wish I had bought the keys and most expensive ones first, and the main reason, is that their price goes up the fastest, since the demand is the highest. So by the time you complete the set, minus the keys, the keys have gone up so much, it takes a very long time to complete it, if you ever get a chance to complete it. I still don't own the 1909 S VDB and 1914 D cents and I don't know if I ever will. I might get the 1914 D though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never considered proofs to be "real" coins in this instance.

I can see why you say that, since proofs are collector only coins and are specially minted. Hence they are a manufacturing process and not a grade, like the business strikes.

But it is amazing to see a proof WL, Mercury dime, or Buffalo nickel. Even a proof Liberty nickel, makes a plain coin, look so much prettier.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$88 for 46 coins with free shipping looks like a fair deal to me (just $1.91 per coin) and it will obviously fill out that album fast. If I were looking to complete a Jefferson set I'd probably jump on this. Then you can concentrate on the more challenging MS coins which can be tough to locate with superior quality.

Not cheating at all!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I will probably go for that deal and I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MYtwoCENTS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not cheating at all.... I would say it is very efficient!
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not consider it cheating, especially when finishing this set allows you to move on to another.

Quote:
After-all, you can pick the ones you like from a "batch" of coins, and sell the remainders, if any.
Good point. It did not enter my mind until I read it.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy a lot of coins from estate auctions and picked up some proof sets from 1980-1989 for $3 each, I have every intention of cracking them open and placing all of them into my Danscos, not cheating at all since proofs were not minted for circulation. I have also seen some of the beautiful War Nickel collections some of the other members have posted pics of and know that all of the War Nickels I have found in circulation are no where near as nice as theirs. When I finish off my nickel album I am quite sure that I will be buying some nickels to replace those in my album that do not quite measure up. After all this hobby is about enjoyment not who wins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
758 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is cheating. You should pay 10x high retail as you acquire each individually, preferably from a seller who charges $6.95 shipping each.

Well, somebody had to go the other way.

Actually, this one is easy. Your collection, your rules.
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sralloway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I filled my Jefferson proofs from 1960 onward with batch purchases. One decade set was a Christmas gift from my better half. She didn't quite understand why I wanted it but humored me (as she often does). Never considered it cheating, though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Just ordered the lot and I'll let you know what it looks like when it arrives.

And yeah, I realize it's personal preference but I always appreciate opinions from those who have experience.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05