Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Cent Error Coins ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,289Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
148 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  11:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add The Coin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I found these two 5 cent coins. One coins has a golden colour and the other weighs 1.8 to 1.9 grams and is very thin.

Any thoughts
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5238 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that the thin one has had an acid bath. It appears to have a lot of tiny 'pits' in it.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1005 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first read about thin coins from acid, I thought "Wouldnt all the detail be removed", but on further reflection, the background would be eroded as well - effectively making the detail which is left still stick out from the background.
I think that the pitting, the smaller diameter (which could not normally happen during manufacture) and the loss of fine detail (eg the "6" and many of the spines) all point to acid damage.
Valued Member
Australia
148 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Coin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nancy and Ozcoins, I was leaning towards PMD as well for the thin coin,
so it's good to get a confirmation from others.
On closer inspection of the rim of the golden coin in comparison tho the rim of the thin coin it looks like the rim is silvery in colour. So more then likely that gold colour is painted on.
oh well.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1607 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1999 coin is just nicely toned from exposure to air I believe,nice looking coin actually IMO.
it also has doubling on the 5 by the look of it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some of these golden 5c as well and dont think theyre painted. Some of them just develop a nice toning. I dont bother keeping them but have noticed it is fairly common with 2006 coins. Maybe there is slightly more copper in the planchets?
Valued Member
Australia
148 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Coin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Appleangel07 and Enworb for your eyes and experience. I had a closer look at the reverse on the toned coin. There is a bit of a crack at 7:30 and the "D" in SD looks a bit funny. I can see the doubling that your spotted as well as what appears to be a cud at the base of the 5. I tried to upload a zoomed image but just got this cropped image

Pillar of the Community
Australia
507 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Work with the original source image, not the one included in your first post - it should be higher resolution than 472px - 244px (unless it was cropped), otherwise take a new high-res photo of the coin, and post a crop of the relevant section here.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
560 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2012  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Enlil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning is the first stage of the development of the patina. Another 500 years and it will look great, and brown.
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bugs710 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this 1992 5 cent error coin yesterday in my change. The Queens head has over-stamped an echidna, so the coin must have originally been double tailed.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
948 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NO, thats not a double tail coin. It call a die clashed coin its where the opposite site has hit the other die side and left an impression on the die, making the coin have a ghostly after image.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1724 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find - you don't see too many decimals which such a pronounced die clash.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5238 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great D.Clash 5c, first one I've seen for a coin dated prior to 1999.

I have 5c Obv Die Clash coins for 2000, 2006, 2008, 2015. Could probably come up with piccies if anyone would like to see them.

I also have a couple Rev ones, which are much harder to spot, but not sure whether I could come up with pics for those.

life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1724 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are they as obvious as that one? I vaguely recall someone posting a 10c die clash in the past but the Queen's head wasn't too obvious in the lyre bird's feathers.
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bugs710 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comments on my 5 cent coin. I have come across the term "Die Clash" it the past but payed little attention to it.
I regularly inspect sites for coin errors that I can look out for, but have never seen and Australian decimal die clash error, so I was fully unaware of there existence.
I was very excited to find this coin but am more so now as it appears that die clashed errors are extremely uncommon in Australian currency.
This coin is a fantastic addition to my collection.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 2,289Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05