Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Consider A Large Collection

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2013  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add usc96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me quality is much more important than quantity. I would consider my collection to be large if (1) it is sizable, and (2) page after page I am able to see coins that make me say "wow, I'm glad I have that in my collection." If the collection is just a large number of coins, but doesn't bring the wow, then it is just a hoard.

I had a relative die several years ago and I was given the sizable (100+lbs) coin collection to go through. It was a hoard. There may have been 10 coins total I had any interest in, and even those were not ones I couldn't purchase with ease online for $100 or less. I am told that the house was robbed a few years before his death, which might explain the lack of "wow" coins.

I think I have quality coins in my collection, but the overall number of coins is limited so I would not call it a large collection.
Edited by usc96
12/24/2013 11:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2013  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started to do a inventory, just a count of how many coins in my collection.

So far I am at 4634 Indian, Wheat and memorial cents.
Those are just the easy ones to count. Still got to
go through the 2X2 boxes and albums. Then I can start nickels.
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2014  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fireman638 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't consider mine sizeable, I'm at 269 total, out of that total I have maybe 100 that I would consider extremely hard to get. I have not focused my collecting to any one part of numismatics, but more so anything professionally graded with a high grade. I guess you could consider it a bit of a savings plan/investment......one that is not taxable if I pass on and it gets handed down. I do love to pull them out of the safe and spread them out and drool over them every now and then :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
795 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My feeling is that if you have 200 different coins organized in an album or display, it is probably a collection. If you have 200 coins with 100 nickels of year x and 100 nickels of year y in a shoe box it is probably a hoard.

It is not the quantity that makes it one or the other but the organization and gross accumulations of duplicates that makes the difference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ASLAN TVorlon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good distinction on collection and hoard, I was about to get the scale for my Lincoln copper jugs, for world coins I'm at about 3000, but if you do coin roll hunting and count it all as a collection then $100 bumps you by 10,000 in just pennies. My 3000+ is big enough, and I'm so glad I have it cataloged.
Pillar of the Community
795 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Normic67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I think that both quality and quantity should be a little balanced and my collection is exactly that. Right now for encapsulated coins I'm at almost 400, then I got my various rolls and world coins and stuff like that, 11 ICCS graded coins (which are my favorite ones) and some other things. I think a large collection is what ever you want it to be and what ever size everybody's collections are, I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ASLAN TVorlon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

50g of copper and 249 years old, 10,000 of those pennies would be a LARGE collection
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am probably repeating a lot of what has already been said. I recall a few years ago someone on a Yahoo based coin site bragging about a coin collection in excess of 30,000 coins. I recall at that time I was adding 10-20 coins a year( now 4-10) to my collection. That other collector was adding thousands each year. Clearly that collector was aiming at quantity and variety. If you look at actual cost I was the one spending the most. In the endwho cares! If you have a particular focus and enjoy what you are doing then that's all that is required. If on the other hand you are looking at ensuring you make some sort of financial return then quality is always going to outperform quantity. as an aside Can you imagine having to dispose of 30000 plus coins?

Edited by austrokiwi
01/08/2014 03:43 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2450 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love 30,000 coins, as long as every one was different.

Steve
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is NO such animal as a large collection
Your collection is simply your collection no matter how many coins you have in it.
If you need a wherehouse to house your coins then I imagine that it would be called a hoard.
A collection to me is what you acquire normally at one coin at a time because you like the coin regardless of how many you have.
I personally have NO idea of how many coins I have in various collections But don't regard them as being a large collection.
They are simply my collections
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll suppose that I have less than 1000 coins. Most are worth less than $2. Many less than 10 cents.
And I've always been an eclectic hoarder, whether it was firearms, edged weapons, motorcycles, bottles or coins.
Then about 2 years ago I decided to put together a focused collection. I chose to study the VAMs of a specific Morgan date and mint. I have 80% of the VAMs that can be proven to exist.
About 100 coins in all, and half are duplicates that I keep because they demonstrate die wear or other variances. Conditions range from MS62 to MS66 with a few PLs and DMPLs.
Having an income that would cause a McDonald's employee to go on strike, should indicate that I had to make some financial sacrifices. However, money was not the only ingredient. It took devotion.
Money is relative. There are folks that will spend more on an evening of entertainment, than I could make in a year.
But not so many that will put in thousands of hours of research. Rough estimate is about 30 hours per coin.
The result is one of the more complete collections in that area, and one with the better conditions available.
Not expensive, nor too big to lift and store.
And I cannot remember a day in the last two years that I did not examine and learn from the collection.
I consider that a large collection.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05