Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1938 Delaware Tercentenary

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 3,995Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight we have a look at the half-dollar struck to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the landing of Swedish settlers in present-day Delaware. The coin is presented via an example in PCGS MS-66.

Under the leadership of Peter Minuit, two ships left Sweden in December 1637 bound for the New World to establish New Sweden. The larger of the two ships was the Kalmar Nyckel, with the smaller being the Fogel Grip. The ships arrived in March 1638, sailing first through Delaware Bay and up the Delaware River, and then up a smaller river on the Delaware's western shore that they would name the Christina River in honor of Queen Christina of Sweden. They landed at a rock outcropping a couple of miles from the mouth of the river in what is today Wilmington, Delaware. From the local Native Americans, the Lenni-Lenape, Peter Minuit purchased the "land from the Christina River down to Bombay Hook" (roughly the northern half of present-day Delaware) and claimed it for Sweden -- it was the start of the colony of New Sweden.

Read More: Commems Collection

The coin was designed by Carl Schmitz; he won an open competition sponsored by the Delaware Tercentenary Commission with a prize of $500. On its obverse is seen the Old Swedes Church (built in 1698 and still in use today as a house of worship) and on its reverse is the sailing ship the Kalmar Nyckel. Schmitz used a photograph of a scale model of the ship that was located in Sweden as the basis for his work on the reverse, and a photograph of the actual Swedes Church for his obverse. The designs were well-received by the Commission of Fine Arts, with the most notable requested revision being the roofline of the church -- Schmitz originally had the ridge line of the roof straight from front to back vs. the roof line of the actual church which is angled at the rear (as seen on the coin).

As part of the Tercentenary celebrations in 1938, the people of Sweden donated a black granite monument designed and executed by Swedish sculptor Carl Milles. The 25-foot tall monument features a stylized representation of the Kalmar Nyckel at its top; the monument is located in Fort Christina State Park. Unfortunately, the park is closed at present so the statue cannot be visited up close; it can be seen from nearby vantage points, however. I tried to visit the park a couple of years ago, but was unsuccessful. I did, however, get a chance to tour the re-creation of the Kalmar Nyckel that is docked near the park.

The net mintage of the coin is about 21,000 (roughly 4,000 coins of the 25,000 struck were returned to the Mint for melting). Nice examples in higher mint state grades are reasonably common and therefore available at reasonable prices. As always, the trick is to find a quality coin for the grade purchased. The coin shown is a nice, flashy white coin with a good strike.

Over the years, I have collected quite a few items related to the Delaware Tercentenary. For show here, I've included images of the original mailer/holder for the coin along with the official commemorative medal in bronze (shown is a small bronze, I also have the medal in large bronze and silver).

Also featured are a few images from the Official Program of the Tercentenary, including one showing the six commemorative plates put out by the Commission -- I have all six! (Sometimes my commemorative collecting knows no bounds!)

I have a few other scarce Delaware Tercentenary-related items that I will post separately in the coming weeks.

Enjoy!

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Half-Dollar -- Obverse

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Half-Dollar - Reverse

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Half-Dollar Mailer/Holder - Front

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Half-Dollar Mailer/Holder - Interior

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Commemorative Medal - Obverse

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Commemorative Medal -- Reverse

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Celebration Program -- Cover

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Celebration Program -- Monument Page

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Celebration Program -- Commem Page

1938 Delaware Tercentenary Celebration Program -- Commem Plates

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great example from a fine collection. And another chance for me to mention how much I love ships on coins lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6878 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another tremendous example of a great coin ... exceptional written history ... and related materials.

I remain in awe commems of you knowledge of the series ... and am truly enjoying seeing for the first time the numismatic materials associated with the coins.

Your total collection ... coins plus ephemera ... combined with your expert knowledge ... are the best I have ever seen.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2012  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come to think of it I kind of wish they used the metal design for the coin. At least the front of it anyway, that really is a beautiful token
Learn More...
United States
92108 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2012  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin with a ship!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 3,995Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05