Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible To Order Box Of Dollar Coins From Bank?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 31,731Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  8:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rustynail66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it possible to order a box of dollar coins from the bank? I ordered a box of halves, didn't ask about dollar coins. I was told that Susan B. Anthony dollars are mixed with Presidential dollars.

Has anyone ordered a box of dollar coins, if so what's the face on a box ($500?) and what did you find?
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jizer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know its possible, but I think the boxes contain $1,000 dollars total.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2012  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jeepkeys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, at my bank the dollar boxes are $1000, and contain a mixture of SBA, presidential and Sacagawea dollars. I usually don't get a full box, however.
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2012  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a bag of dollar coins from my bank today, and they were glad to get rid of it. When customers deposit dollar coins, the bank just sticks them in a bag. They were all mixed: SBA, presidential and Sacagawea dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2012  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add baysinger626 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the banks I frequent always have plenty of dollar coins, and I'msure if you asked they would be more than happy to give you what rolls they have, and if you want more they could order them. Maybe for a $5 fee or something depending on the bank, but $5 of $1000 is almost nothing.
Pillar of the Community
967 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2012  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was in a bank picking up bags of cents the other day and the teller ask if I was interested in a bag of dollars. $2,000. Told her sorry but I was not interested. This same bank a couple of years ago had three $1,000 boxes of dollars that were setting in the vault wasting space and funds. I took them off their hands. I did find six or seven near date 1979s. Took the rest back to the credit union.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2017  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just talked with my contact this morning about ordering a bag of dollars. She said they could and it would probably be a mixed bag with various types in it. $1000 is going out on Wednesday to see what I end up with. Bank is PNC btw.
Valued Member
51 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2017  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollarcoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am wanting 2017-P cents from my bank and they don't have and don't seem interesting in getting any for me. Have 38,000.00 in checking account and am very much wanting to take it out and into another bank.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2017  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FireballXL5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bank doesn't seem to care if they get new or old currency when they order... and typically they get enough stock on hand from local businesses to prevent them from ordering more on a regular basis.

They have no problem ordering me anything I may want to look at, but there is no guarantee on quality, condition, new, or old... to them money is just money and in their eyes it all spends the same... so it's always a gamble and the hunt is always fun... especially when you pull a gem out of circulation that everyone else overlooked!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4250 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2017  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome rustynail66. I noticed you did not specify which dollar coins you were looking for. Personally, I'd have interest in only Eisenhower dollar coins, and roll hunters have been able to order bags of them at times. Finds have included silver Ikes, Peace and Morgan dollars in the mix.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2017  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a box of dollar coins. What should I look for? Obviously, I'll pray for Morgans, Peace, Trade, Seated, Bust (yeah right!). I know very little about modern dollars. Are ALL Eisenhower dollars worth more than face? Is there a list of collectable dates for the more modern coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1682 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2017  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a box of dollar coins. What should I look for? Obviously, I'll pray for Morgans, Peace, Trade, Seated, Bust (yeah right!). I know very little about modern dollars. Are ALL Eisenhower dollars worth more than face? Is there a list of collectable dates for the more modern coins?

The box is likely to be small dollars rather than large ones.
Learn More...
United States
112160 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are ALL Eisenhower dollars worth more than face? Is there a list of collectable dates for the more modern coins?
In my mind, yes, but in reality, no. High grade business strikes, 40% silver issues, proofs, and anything from 1973 should offer a premium. Of course, if you are building a set from scratch, they are all keepers until the hole is filled.

Quote:
The box is likely to be small dollars rather than large ones.
Sadly, I concur. I hope we are wrong though.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are there any of small dollars worth saving? If not, maybe I should just open the box at the bank and return them if there are no large dollars on first glance.
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are small dollar varieties and errors. Missing the edge lettering on Presidential dollars is one. Returning coins to the same bank is not recommended: you may get the same coins on your next visit, and it may cause the bank to re-evaluate supplying coins for your needs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4250 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2017  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@man2004 - regardless, returning your order to the same bank, especially in that manner, is the fastest way to get cut off from ordering priviledges. The last thing a bank teller wants to do is handle coin, and word gets out, even to other branches.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
06/14/2017 05:43 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 31,731Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: