Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1938 Delaware "Cousin"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,765Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4792 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2012  6:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The 1925 Norse medal was not the only "related" numismatic item collected by yesterday's classic commemorative series aficionado. Many collectors also added the 1938 Swedish 2 Kronor to their cabinets as the coin was issued by the Swedish Government in conjunction with the US' Delaware Tercentenary half-dollar.

The Delaware half-dollar was sponsored and promoted by the Delaware Tercentenary Commission, based in Wilmington, Delaware. This group sold the half-dollar, several commemorative medals, various commemorative publications and a series of six commemorative plates created by the English firm Spode. Here's my post on the 1938 Delaware half-dollar: http://goccf.com/t/118796

Read More: Commems Collection

Sales of the Swedish 2 Kronor coin were supported here in the US by the Swedish-American Tercentenary Association. In addition to the commemorative coin, the group also made available to collectors commemorative medals of bronze and silver that were struck in Sweden. To make acquisition easier for US collectors, the items could be ordered from the Association's US mailing address.

The Swedish coin features a portrait of King Gustav V on its obverse and a depiction of the Kalmar Nyckel -- the larger of the two ships that sailed from Sweden in 1638 with settlers who would found the New Sweden colony in what is now Delaware. The reverse also features the Swedish Crown flanked by the commemorative dates ‘1638 -- 1938'. The inscription on the reverse translates as "New Sweden in Memory of Sweden." The coin is 31 mm in diameter (nearly the same size as a US half-dollar which is 31.6 mm), and was struck in 0.800 fine silver. Just over 500,000 of the coins were struck.

The small ‘G' found at the lower right on the reverse is not a mint mark, it is the initial of the Mint Master at the Swedish Mint -- the ‘G' represents Alf Grabe. To the left of the ‘G' on the opposite side of the reverse is a small bust that represents King Eric or Eric the Saint of Sweden. His portrait serves as a mint mark indicating the coin was struck at the mint in Stockholm; the Coat-of-Arms of Stockholm depicts Eric the Saint.

The 2 Kronor coin was known to US commemorative collectors at the time of its initial release due to its promotion during the 1938 tercentenary celebrations; notice of the coin was also published in the ANA's The Numismatist at the time. The Swedish coin was also often included alongside the listings of US commemorative coins in dealer advertisements in the years following the coin's release. The coin has been referenced within the Delaware half-dollar listing in the " Red Book" since its first edition in 1947.

Shown here are two examples of the Swedish coin, one brilliant and one toned. The toned coin is one of five that I acquired when I purchased the original holder/mailer also shown below; evidently the coins spent much of their life in the cardboard holder and gained their toning because of it. You can make out the holder-caused tab toning on the coin's obverse.

While the coin is fairly common and almost always available, finding a true Gem is difficult. Regarding the holder, I believe it to be one of the scarcer original holders in my collection, as I haven't seen another for sale nor even seen a reference to it. I'm sure there are others out there, but they just don't appear with any regularity. The holder is 3-1/3" wide by 5-1/4" tall.

Lastly, I present one of the Swedish commemorative medals; the example shown is silver. These medals are rather tough to come by, and thus my example is not a Gem example. I purchased my silver example from a dealer in Sweden a number of years ago, but my bronze example was purchased here in the US!

Enjoy!

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor (Brilliant) - Obverse

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor (Brilliant) - Reverse

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor (Toned) - Obverse

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor (Toned) -- Reverse

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor Original Holder/Mailer -- Front Panel

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor Original Holder/Mailer -- Interior Panels

1938 Sweden 2 Kronor Original Holder/Mailer -- Back Panel

1938 Sweden Commemorative Medal -- Obverse

1938 Sweden Commemorative Medal -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/08/2012 09:54 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10719 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post; very informative. Thanks!

I'd like to get a peek at your collection; I expect that it's truly amazing.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2012  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TrickyxMick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that!
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2012  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking for a pocketpiece 1938 2 Kronor but have never seen one offered.
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2012  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HelzelsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post, thanks!! That is one cool coin! I like the medal better though
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6883 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am out of superlatives to describe my honest respect for these continued tremendous posts ...

Sooo ... Thank You commems.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4792 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CelticKnot: Thanks! Stay tuned! I plan to continue providing "peeks" as time allows.

@Not Mint to Be: I'll keep my eye out for one for you!

@HelzelsCoins: Yes, the large size and high-relief design of the medal vs. the smaller and low-relief coin makes for a more attractive piece. The artist has many more design options when working on a large medal -- it's quite common for a medal's design to outshine a similarly-themed coin.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
92440 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2012  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another interesting read, and again I have learned some facts I didnt know
Thanks for posting this
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2016  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems you have me beat in just about every Delaware category except for the condition of my silver Swedish medal. I found this one in a local auction along with a bronze example. Since I've never seen another one in 30 years I figured that they are scarce.

I'd love to hear about your 70 mmm Delaware piece in silver.
Edited by billjones
03/10/2016 5:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2016  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did find an xf-au example of the 2 Kronor but would like to find a lower one. I do like the reverse of the Medal shown. Were all 500,000 of the of the 2 Kronor released or sold?
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,765Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05