Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Making Your Own BU Rolls

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,726Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2012  6:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if it would be worth someone's while to make their own BU rolls of coins. I'm not looking to create a ton of these rolls, but possibly 2 rolls of pennies to quarters (one for each mint).

I can probably get the pennies just after the first of the year but the nickels, dimes, and quarters is probably going to take awhile to accumulate.

Do you feel that there is sufficient upside value for someone to do this for their own purposes.

What got me thinking about this was this week's article on the scarcity of certain good condition quarters.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3167 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2012  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmm, I've been wondering the same thing. Can you put together a BU roll from circulation and still be able to call it uncirculated with a premium of a 'real' roll.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2012  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For recent years, a bank wrapped UNC roll has some value but I doubt a hand wrapped roll would be worth more than face
Pillar of the Community
United States
1210 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2012  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put together bu rolls of Kennedy's and sell them for 15 - 20 bucks.
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2012  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Windycity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put together rolls will have minimal value... check with banks to see if you can location original rolls. Used to do this all the time with some success... even have two unopened bags of 1974 cents.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16494 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2012  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Memorial cent BU roll set.

EDIT - I should add...that I put together mostly by searching. As I found really nice coins, I added them to tubes by year and mint.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
09/25/2012 11:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1703 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2012  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BU is BU.

Some people want original rolls primarily to search for varieties or Gems but if the rolls aren't cherry picked they're more likely in put together rolls. I keep all the nice Uncs I see in circulation but rarely get enough for a whole roll.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2012  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason that I was asking is that lately I been doing some roll searching of pennies and have been finding in some Brink's boxes almost completely brillant lookings pennies with maybe one or two really circulated coins. I can usually work the circulated coins out and then I replace them with a 2012 brillant pennies without damaging the plastic wrapping that Brink's packages the coins in.

Thus, in my mind at least, it becomes a brillant uncirculated roll that I set aside for the future (whenever that it is).

In this case alone, are these considered uncirculated or am I merely playing games?

Nice looking uncirculated coins I do set aside in hopes of accumulating a full roll, but so far I have not been able to do so. This I put into plastic roll cylinders also for future use.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2012  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a Memorial cent BU roll set.

Not too suprised there BadThad.

Quote:
I should add...that I put together mostly by searching. As I found really nice coins, I added them to tubes by year and mint.

Oh wow. that is impressive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2016  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do we have a lot of member collecting creating BU rolls?

We have a dedicated CRH sub-site, may be if there are enough traffics, we can have one for collecting BU roll....

Btw, I always save new coins from my pocket changes.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Edited by SA4H
04/21/2016 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
724 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2016  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdrosophila to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put together most memorial BU rolls from search?
How many millions of pennies do you search, Badthad?
I had searched about quarter million pennies in the past, and there is far far away from getting BU rolls for 1959, 1960s-70s. I had difficult to find even a decent BU 1960s and 1970 cents.
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2016  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cuzzx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
was at my back today and ask if they had any new coin rolls, lady pulled out about 12 penny rolls from Loomus. I ask about other coins , dimes nickles quarters. she said they were out of those new rolls but do get them in from time to time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6298 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2016  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a thought for you. My grandfather did this for years in the 70s. Hence I inherited rolls of P and D clad coins and copper pennies. Some are very nice looking, but most are common enough they are not worth the value they were when put away. Ten dollars in 1970 was worth a whole lot more than today. If, instead, the coins were put into silver back then, the initial value would still be there.

I think if our money was still made from PMs (as it should be), then there would be merit to putting away rolls from both angles - retaining value, and having better examples.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2016  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bruce, why did you necromance a 4yo thread?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16494 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Put together most memorial BU rolls from search?
How many millions of pennies do you search, Badthad?
I had searched about quarter million pennies in the past, and there is far far away from getting BU rolls for 1959, 1960s-70s. I had difficult to find even a decent BU 1960s and 1970 cents.

Yes, the vast majority are from searching bank boxs and bags. However, those 60's and most 70's are almost impossible to find in high enough grades for my standards so I was forced into buying a lot of OBW rolls and searching those for gems to complete a high grade roll for my set.

My biggest help for completing the set is due to a good friend of my who's >20 years old than I am. He saved all his change everyday for decades separated by denomination. He had thousands pennies in some giant, glass water bottles that he gave to me to search and cash in for him. He said I could keep anything I found of interest as a collector....thank GOD! LOL

Because he traveled a lot due his job, he had an awesome mix of mint marks. Tons of BU coins from the 70's, 80's and 90's were in these containers. Without his generosity, I couldn't have completed my roll set in a reasonable time!

My advice to you, seek out such a person. There are lot of them out there that have saved their change for decades. When they get old enough, they want to purge these huge hoards.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,726Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05