Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Is Cleaning So Bad?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sometimes when the coin is a dug coin like your wheatie the only way to even tell what kind of coin you have is to clean it. That being said allot of people say it should only be cleaned enough to identify it and shouldn't be taken to the extremes.
Valued Member
71 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennymax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the replies, very informative. I never had the intention to clean any of my coins I was just curious about the topic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually a very good question and I'm glad you asked.
To often people just follow the norm or what is popular, I welcome critical thinking.
Basebal21 makes a good point, it wasn't always the mood among collectors.
I think Carl nailed it best, in that cleaning destroy's originality and as most stated
cleaned coins look poorly.
Methods of cleaning which leave a coin looking original are not frowned upon, and are called conservation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7661 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a couple YouTube videos where a guy puts his coins in a rock tumbler.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1218 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about an ultra sonic cleaner - like for Jewellery? The chemicals if you use them (distilled water works too)are very mild. The vibes from the ultrasonic do most of the work, and will only affect the years of accumulated debris filling the various grooves etc. I haven't tried it yet, but I will give'r a go tonight with some 'worthless' coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What about an ultra sonic cleaner - like for Jewellery? The chemicals if you use them (distilled water works too)are very mild. The vibes from the ultrasonic do most of the work, and will only affect the years of accumulated debris filling the various grooves etc. I haven't tried it yet, but I will give'r a go tonight with some 'worthless' coins.

Yet remember that removing something on a coin may well be part of the original metal of the coin itself. And a massive problem with items like those sonic cleaners is what people put in them. Soap? What type? How strong? What is in that soap? Vibrations from the sonic cleaner too could well make a coin continue to bump the sides and create scrates and dinks. Putting more than one coin in at a time too could cause problems. All sorts of things can go wrong with attemts to clean a coin. And again, once the past has been lost, it can not be recovered.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3257 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh NO, Roscue2!

Cleaning a common 1942 wheat found detecting is VERY different from cleaning a coin which has numismatic value.
If silver, it remains silver, but the numismatic value is destroyed.

Do not feel badly. For you, its value lies in the fact that you found it.

Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2012  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roscue2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Matthew. :) At the time I was 13 so I didn't have an idea about how to clean it other than using a form of acid, and seeing as there was an abundance of lemons nearby.... But like you said, it is a nice find in my mind cleaned or not.

52Raymo, rock tumblers are generally only used to clean common clad that has been found metal detecting. Sometimes people will put wheaties in also, but the tumblers do cause noticeable damage to the coins you put in. Of course, with clad it doesn't matter, but if you were to put in a silver coin it would destroy quite a bit if not all of its numismatic value
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1156 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2012  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaning removes the "history" of the coin, leaves one only with a piece of metal, built up patina over the long years will be gone

I have an ultrasonic cleaner but use it only on silver jewelry & cuttlery which is great if one really wants cleaned up silver

but for coins its not good, takes out the luster, the patina remains but the luster is gone, left is a flat shine that is mostly surface & not deep
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2357 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2012  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Different rules apply for ancient coins. Just about every ancient coin you will see has been cleaned at some time. This is perfectly acceptable to collectors of ancients as long as it is done properly.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2012  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is perfectly acceptable to collectors of ancients as long as it is done properly.

Unfotunately it's that done properly thing that creates all sorts of errors.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaymon74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a cleaned coin today. It was also the best looking coin in the lot, with the most detail. Didn't pay a whole lot for it either. It wasn't harshly cleaned. I'm happy with the purchase. For what I was planning on spending on the one coin, I was able to buy a bonus.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05