Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Tell If A Silver Jubilee Coin Is Silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  8:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add YoungNumismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am wondering how you could tell if a 1977 silver jubilee coin is silver or not, without taking it to be acid checked. I know that they made them in silver and copper-nickel, but is there an easy way to tell if they are silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5850 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something that I learned here on the forum, you could try the tissue test. I not completely sure if this would apply but on some modern U.S coin that were minted in both silver and copper nickel, you can sometimes tell just by the color. Silver looks much whiter compared to copper nickel.
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1210 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If by a more scientific method, you can investigate the specific gravity of each coin. A sterling silver coin will have a value around 10.3.
If by a more subjective test, ring test will work for experienced ears.
I am quite suspected both coins will have different weights; the coin has a weight of 28.28 grams must be silver. A Cu-Ni coin will have a lighter weight by same volume of material.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YoungNumismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, but I don't have a scale yet so I can't do the weight. I did do the tissue test of it versus a clad Ike dollar and a silver Mercury dime. The silver jubilee came out to be Copper-Nickel. A little disappointed, but I would have bought it either way.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1351 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cupro nickel version is worth about £1 the proof about £5 and the silver about £25.The silver come in a plush box with a certificate.All need to be perfect.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2012  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YoungNumismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot what I paid, but it was less than $1 US. I still think it is a great coin.
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2012  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's probably copper nickel , silver is rare in these coins compared to how many are coper nickel , I have a silver one I paid £20
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05