Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1934 Maryland Tercentenary And Hans Schuler

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 4,832Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  8:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Collectors of the classic US commemorative series are familiar with Hans Schuler, the talented Baltimore sculptor who was responsible for the designs found on the 1934 Maryland Tercentenary half-dollar.

But the coin was not Schuler's only artistic connection to Maryland's 300th anniversary!

In a previous post, I briefly mentioned that Schuler was also responsible for the Maryland Tercentenary Commission's official commemorative medallion. I thought I'd provide a bit more information on the piece here.

The obverse of the medal features a portrait of Albert C. Ritchie, the Maryland Governor at the time of the tercentenary, along with the Maryland coat-of-arms. The reverse depicts the landing of Leonard Calvert in the new colony; he is seen holding the colonial proclamation prepared by his brother Cecil Calvert, the 2nd Lord Baltimore, who held the Royal Land Grant and Charter for the Maryland colony. Also depicted are fellow colonists Captain Thomas Cornwallis and Reverend Andrew White (to Calvert's right) along with a standard-bearer and Native American (to Calvert's left). In the background can be seen the Ark, one of the two ships that brought the colonists to America (the other was the Dove).

Sales of the attractive 2-1/4" bronze commemorative medallion were not as strong as those of the coin. Of the 2,000 medals struck, it appears that 602 were still in inventory when the Commission terminated; the medals were turned over to the State for future sales. The medals originally sold for $1.00 each, but the price was later lowered to $0.50.

But that's not where Schuler's involvement ends either!

The Tercentenary Commission also decided to erect a commemorative tablet at Cowes, Isle of Wight, England " the place from which the colonists departed England to start the Maryland colony. Hans Schuler was given the commission to design the tablet. Following is an image of the tablet that I scanned from the Report of the Maryland Tercentenary Commission.

The image is a bit difficult to read, so here's the text it features:

On the 22nd day of November AD 1633
Leonard Calvert
brother of Cecil Calvert, Baron of
Baltimore, with his co-adventurers,
set sail from this port in the Ark and
the Dove to establish in America the
Palatinate of Maryland, under a charter
granted by the King of England, which
conferred upon the people of Maryland
all the Rights of Englishmen, to be theirs
in perpetuity - Rights which the people
of Maryland have ever cherished as their
greatest, most valued Heritage.

Upon the site, granted by the Cowes
Urban District Council to the Society of the
Ark and the Dove this tablet is erected,
November 22,
1933 by The State of Maryland.

But wait, there's more!

Schuler also created a statue he called "Freedom from Conscience" for the Tercentenary. Through the sculpture, Schuler endeavored to express "the principle of religious toleration" " a founding principle of the original Maryland Province/Colony. Schuler's model of the statue was exhibited during the Tercentenary celebrations; the permanent statue was completed in 1935 and erected at St. Mary's City, Maryland. Here's an image of Schuler's model (from the Report of the Maryland Tercentenary Commission):

Here's a link to color images of the permanent statue, including an image of the inscription on the rear side of the statue: https://www.stmaryscity.org/history...nial/56.html

There can be little doubt that Hans Schuler was the most commissioned artist of the Maryland Tercentenary " he was commissioned to produce all of the official works of sculpture (including a bust of Governor Leonard Calvert, not discussed). He might never have been named the "Official" artist of the Maryland Tercentenary, but for all intents and purposes he certainly held the title!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8080 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow ... too tired now from too much work and Dad in hospital to fully absorb what I just read ...

Amazing post commems ... your proven ability to organize and share this knowledge is inspiring to all of us.

I am thrilled that you continue to share as you do.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2013  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing! Thanks so much for continuing to share your research.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating, commems. You are an ambassador for the commemorative series! I will read your post over again. Your writings make my imagiation soar. You've been a teacher, haven't you? What beautiful coins. What beautiful stories.
Learn More...
United States
116464 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you once again for sharing your vast knowledge of US Commemorative Coins and associated materials!
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better than what you would read in a coin magazine. Thanks for all your info. It's always interesting reading the behind the scenes stuff
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8273 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the kind feedback!

@blackjack: Yes, I was briefly a teacher early in my career - I taught computer programming and software classes for a few years before following a very different career path.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2013  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, commems, you're a teacher to me. I value what you do for us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2013  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems!!

I look forward to everything you post!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 4,832Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: