Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Further Analysis Of The 1976-S Unc. Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2013  09:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
http://www.coinweek.com/us-coins/re...ess-strikes/

The first article I wrote for CoinWeek covered the Bicentennial quarter, characteristics of its strike and the coin's condition census at NGC and PCGS.

This go around I look at the 1976-S Silver Three Pack, specifically the ones produced early and discuss their comparative quality.

It's the type of low-hanging fruit set that allowed for some early winners in the numismatic marketplace. is it possible to still make out well with this set? Hubert and I explore....

Let me know what you think. I'll answer any questions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2013  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I enjoyed reading your article. I found my first '76 silver "unc" half while coin roll hunting last week. I also have a set that was given to me as a Christmas tip for passing a collector's newspaper back in 1975. I think this is when I decided I was going to start collecting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5972 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2013  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This set is on my radar. I collect silver coins and have all silver Washington quarters and Kennedy halves excepting the 3 coin uncirculated 1776-1976 set. I would prefer these coins for my 7070 than the proof that are now in place.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18660 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2013  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That three coin set is perfect for a 7070 set.
Learn More...
United States
80814 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2013  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this set, but it has been spread between three Dansco albums.

I do not collected graded coins, but I still find this article fascinating and very interesting.

Of course, the Flip of a Coin is still my favourite part of these articles.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2013  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck- would flip of a coin work as a book, you think?
Learn More...
United States
80814 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2013  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might! I really enjoy these interesting bits of information, much of it I did not know before. It would be good to have it all in one place.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1682 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2013  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost started a new thread. I've got to try to keep up better with CoinWeek.

It's a very good article and I enjoyed it as usual. You touch on the subject of the sets with the white stripe.

Near the end of the production run the mint came to believe that the authorizing act mandated 14,000,000 sets rather than set a cap at that level. With only a few weeks to make over 8,000,000 sets they started running the coins off of regular dies and regular presses rather than the much slower numismatic presses. These newest coins were very poorly made and they lacked the packaging to make up the sets so they were simply dumped into 55 gallon steel drums. Sometime after sales fell off in 1977 these were allthey had and they continued on sale until 1980 but had very poor sales due to lack of interest and poor quality. These used new packaging without the white stripe. Many of these went almost straight to the melting furnaces in 1980 as there was actually a very narrow window of opportunity to buy them in bulk at less than melt value. The mint just wasn't paying attention until the orders came pouring in. Over the years they are far more likely to be destroyed and are not commonly seen any longer yet still shunned because of the low quality and poor strikes.

While enormous numbers of these poorer sets were made it's possible as few as about 20,000 survive. They just might be considered part of the sets someday.

All these S-mint 40% silver Uncs are easy to find nice except the "high speed" examples that simply never come nice. You can find them without a lot of scratches with great effort but you'll never find one well struck and with good surfaces. Most of them are simply horrid and the few that aren't horrid are bad.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3717 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2013  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the later sets of inferior quality the ones in the red envelopes? Interesting article. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2013  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The red envelope sets can have the stripe. I just madehttp://images.PCGS.com/CoinFacts/26824460_max.jpg and http://images.PCGS.com/CoinFacts/26824461_max.jpg from one pack.
Edited by cc99999
03/03/2013 9:28 pm
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2013  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aandabooks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up a set of these in proof graded 69DCAM in ANACS holders. I gave $20 for the set. They are very nice in Proof and show very nice detail. Also have the unc set in OGP and they're not nearly as noce.

These seem to be an overlooked coin set that is not appreciated. I've seen them for barely over spot many times.
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2013  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a original set at a pawn shop for $15 about 6 mths ago. No white stripe.on the bottom, so I guess its a unc set. Never knew there was a difference. Thanks for the article, very informative. I always wondered why the coins didn't look as great as other proofs. Now I know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1682 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2013  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I picked up a original set at a pawn shop for $15 about 6 mths ago. No white stripe.on the bottom, so I guess its a unc set. Never knew there was a difference. Thanks for the article, very informative. I always wondered why the coins didn't look as great as other proofs. Now I know.

There are two different kinds of the mint sets. There are the high quality ones made like mint set coins; specially made dies strike coins at lower speeds under higher pressure on special presses, and there are coins packaged without the white stripe that are made like regular coins; run off on high speed presses.

The regulr mint set coins with the white stripe are mostly very nice quality coins. These two types of mint sets are completely different in appearance. There is no overlap at all and every coin from either set can be positively identified as to its origin even after being removed from the set. It's not a continuum of quality but two continua.

Proof sets are a third way tro manufacture coins for the date which is like the regular mint set but they used less pressure, polished dies, and struck the coins twice.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05