Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Online Info And Pricing For Mexico 1743-mf 8 ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2013  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rhemata to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Where can I find information about a coin? Mexico 1743-MF 8 ? (not sure what denomination)

Inscriptions match the 8 Reales coin, but the coin weighs half of what NGC Coin says it should (13.21g rather than 27g).

The coin is also yellow in color and, therefore not silver.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2013  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin is dollar sized and yellow in color and weighs 13.21g, it is not a real coin. Here is a scan of a 1744 8 reales coin, does the coin look like this? If so it should weigh right at 27g

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2013  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rhemata to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Is it a genuine coin or some replication.

The coin matches the inscription in the pictures of the 8 Reales, but it is 'under weight'
Unless there is some other 8 Reales coin (like the silver and gold version that exist)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2013  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post a picture, it sounds like you are referring to a fake
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2013  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rhemata to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the image of the coin

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2013  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly it is a fake, just a tourist trinket.
-Mark Twain
Indonesia
15 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what is the correct diameter of this coin. numista page says 40mm https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces15066.html ..but mine is 38.63mm. I cant find another website even NGC to get specs comparison.

Valued Member
Spain
103 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have pillars from 38mm to 40mm, diameter is not as regular as weight ;)
Indonesia
15 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are you saying the diameter is not as important as the weight? my coin is 26.95 gram. how do you know whether it is counterfeit or not?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19076 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the OP coin is a modern brass copy, not even close to what the original looked like.
Edited by IndianGoldEagle
01/13/2019 1:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4918 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
joo You ask:
Quote:
are you saying the diameter is not as important as the weight? my coin is 26.95 gram. how do you know whether it is counterfeit or not?

The best way to know if a coin is made with coin silver is to measure the density of the coin. The density (Specific Gravity) of any item is found by dividing the weight of the item by the volume of the coin. The result is a number that compares the density of the object to water. (Water = 1.00). Coin silver (about 90% pure) has a density 10.31 times heavier than water.

If the coin is made of copper the density will be 8.90.

It is possible to form an alloy with a density equal to silver. But while it is possible to create such alloys most of the alternative alloys do not possess the same properties as silver. So the ring test should be performed.

This is all high school level science - nothing that should defeat any of us.

My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05