Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Dimes Should I Look Out For?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  3:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tomboy872 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a newbie and usually hunt for older dimes, but when looking through rolls, should I keep an eye out for anything more recent... example... is a 2000 D dime significant in the least bit? or even a 1968 D dime?
Edited by tomboy872
04/09/2013 4:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really the only ones date wise to look for are 1999 P or D due to somewhat low mintages. Check any 1996 dimes you find and see if they are W mint marked. There was a special West Point minted dime included in the 1996 mint sets, and occasionally they end up out in the wild. Otherwise just look for neat errors.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tomboy872 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the info! much appreciated. Just picked up some rolls from the bank and I dont want to miss anything.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KisNap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe they mean 2009 P and D dimes. Those numbers were in the tens of millions instead of the hundreds of millions.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tomboy872 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
after reading the last posts, I just found a 2009 P in one of my rolls :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3433 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am an idiot. YES, I meant 2009.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
also look for a " no mint mark " 1982. Very collectible.

Also look for 1955 this is a very under collected coin despite the fact that it is the lowest mintage of the whole series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1660 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you get a couple of $2 folders you can keep the nicest coin you find of each date and you'll know what's tough. You'll even have a good reference coin to compare to a suspected variety. It's fun too.

Nice well made '78-D's are tough. Higher grade '69 and '71's are tough. Both '75 issues are a little elusive well-made and higher grade. The post-'87 coins are all easy but a few aren't so easy with nearly full luster and well made. There are numerous toughies already mentioned but there are also varieties that can be found with effort.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 P and D (Almost as rare as silvers) - 4 - 5 per box for me

1996 W Mintmark (I have found one CRH) - 1 in 18 boxes for me

1982 no mint mark - never found one yet

1969 - 4 - 5 per box

any Proofs (keep any eye out for modern silver proofs) - 1 every 6 boxes and two where silver

the ELUSIVE 1965 silver planchet (I check every one) - never found one obviously

pre 1964 (90% silver) - 2 per box

Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I have been trying to put together date rolls for the coins that I have found in my pocket change of the best coins that I come across. I am currently having better luck with no surprise of the latest coins, however I still find good looking coins. When I fill a tube that it for the particular year.

I agree that 2009 is a tough year to find. However pulling good coins out of circulation are hard to do. Depending on where you live in the country either Philadelphia or Denver coins will pose a challenge. Where I live coins from Denver do not show up in circulation until late in the year. But that is what make it interesting.

I think that CladKing's advice is prudent and worthwhile, however I haven't seen a $2 folder in years. You used to be able to get them from banks everywhere, now I just don't see them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18443 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2013  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Roosevelt dimes, I suggest purchasing Albums and making as many completed sets as possible. Then put them aside for about 50 years. Sorry but just not a great coin for appreciation of value. However, on the brighter side, one of the easier coins to make oompleted sets with. I've got 10 full Albums of those now. It is sort of fun every year looking for the latest ones to continue filling the last pages.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mindsets to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 Ds what I keep my eye trained for, among others, when looking through change. Lowest minted dime in like 50 years. ( I think)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7529 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  09:35 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1982 no mint mark - never found one yet

Just looked on eBay and only found one....250 bucks, yow.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2013  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sapper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking, look for some FB in the 70s most of the P has less than 10 register. The 74 and 78 have no FB register.
I just got a 1979-D MS66FB only 6 register with none higher. Some of the early 90s are hard to fine in FB also
Sapper
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05