Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Bay Bridge Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,760Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6069 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  5:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight I'm following up on my previous post about the 1936 San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge commemorative half-dollar (see it here: http://goccf.com/t/115776) with a few pieces of related ephemera.

First up is a form letter used by the "Coin Division" of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Celebration group to provide background information on the half-dollar and instructions on how to place an order for it. As is typical for these types of letters, it hypes the demand for the coin and urges collectors "to send in their orders as soon as possible so that they may not be disappointed." Actual demand for the coin did not quite match the expectations of the Celebration's Coin Division, however, as more than 28,600 of the 100,000 coins struck went unsold and were returned to the US Mint to be melted.

Read More: Commems Collection

I've also included images of the fairly scarce holder/mailer and envelope used to deliver the coins. In contrast to many of its mid-1930s contemporaries which were distributed in small informational folders, the Bay Bridge half-dollar was mailed to purchasers in a simple, unmarked cardboard holder with spaces for up to six coins; a plain glossy paper cover was folded over the coin holder to protect inserted coins. In the image below, the white paper wrap is shown behind the coin holder.

Lastly, here are images of the Bay Bridge I have in my collection.

Enjoy!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/30/2013 5:32 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21344 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Here's some more info on the Bay Bridge Half Dollar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well - I think between the previous commems post the addition by bobby and this post... just about all I could learn about this coin - I have read! It is 1 of the few graded commems I have - the bear and the bride are both awesome to view.
Learn More...
United States
101828 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7151 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have some regret for my time away from this sub-forum ... too much work indeed.

Many Thanks commems for another valued and informative post.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice....I want one....he he...
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,760Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05