Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1902 Indian Head cent on Venezuelan (?) planchet

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2013  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biokemist6; I am not convinced. I measured the rim on a modern penny, and unless they were way different back then, the modern penny rim raised area is less than 1mm across. The penny I have is just about 2mm smaller, at about 18mm across. That would mean that if the acid had evenly eaten the coin, it would have eaten the outer 1mm all the way around, therefore the raised rim from the outside, not just from top and bottom, which would mean that the raised portion would have been eaten off, no?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2013  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, you cannot compare a modern Lincoln Cent to an Indian Head cent because the rims are indeed quite different. IHCs have a broad dentilated rim while Lincolns have a thin rim with no denticles.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2013  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, that makes sense!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1530 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2013  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if it is 18 mm wide, that means 1.0 mm has been taken from the circumference divided by 2 to calculate the amount dissolved from one side = .50mm. A IHC is 1.5 mm thick. If you assume acid dissolve all surfaces evenly (.5mm on the obverse, reverse, and edges) the cent should be approximately .5 mm thick assuming it was dipped before any major circulation occurred. This would mean roughly 2/3 of the coin was dissolved by weight which would leave a coin weighing roughly 1.0 grams. Judging by the pics and looking at weights (.9 grams) and measurements (18 mm) this looks logical. I hope it is a rare find though. The logic seems to make sense unless I am off in my thinking? As said earlier, an XRF tester would be definitive.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2013  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really, XRF isn't needed here. With coin in hand, an expert in IHCs or errors should tell you for sure--and for far less money.
It used to be that Rick Snow would look at your IHC for a modest fee and determine the variety--perhaps he's still doint that?
Edited by DVCollector
08/04/2013 02:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2013  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2013  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stazstaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He still has not replied, so most probably, he looked at the pics I sent with my message, and concluded the same.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zimmy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was acid treated. It is amazing how often acid dipped coins appear in these forums. They all have the same appearance. Thin, mushy detail, porous fields from the etching and slightly smaller diameters. There must be thousands of these out there, usually the owner thinks their struck on foreign or thin planchets and have a hard time accepting that they are acid treated but eventually come around.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2013  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinDan98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting read ..
Pillar of the Community
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2013  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add liveandievarieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin in the beginning of this thread is unquestionably acid treated. As mentioned many times, acid erodes metal EQUALLY, so that the coin will be much thinner, but will retain the detail it was struck with.

If you send this coin into any TPG for grading it will come back as "environmental/chemical damage", it is not a slabbable coin, nor is it an error, simply damaged by having sat in acid.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2018  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg Christianse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got one of these 1902 half thickness coins today. It's extremely thin but the details look as worn as a regular 1902. I've read through the forum on this and if chemicals were involved I'd assume certain corners would be eaten away. It can't be a coincidence that's it's also a 1902
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2018  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1902 is one of the most common Indian Head cents, so it is in no way unusual that your coin is the same date. Certainly post pictures for an accurate opinion of your coin, but acid on a coin often reduces all surfaces evenly, which may leave corners and devices intact but reduced in size. Welcome to the forum!
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not stick it in a drawer! If you can keep it protected please do! Coins like this could be worth a lot and any further damage will take value away from it. As they say for every scratch, lose a digit.
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2018  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg Christianse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put it in a Dime 2x2 yesterday. It fits perfectly. Going with the Acid Theory on this 1902. Why would the circumference be reduced down to dime size but the images remain all in tact. I have quite a bit of real world experience with metals. I found another 1902 indian head on Pinterest just today when I was looking for something to compare it to. I really cant find another year indian head that has this issue so far just 1902. I will take some pics when I get home.
Learn More...
United States
63480 Posts
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05