Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This An Error Just Damaged? 1990 Roosevelt Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 2,472Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add butturff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK I'm posting this for a friend of mine who is a coin collector but not huge on computers.

The reverse of the dime looks like a totally normal circulated coin. The front looks as though it was perhaps run over by something and is particularly shiny compared to the back almost like a proof etc.

The thing I'm wondering about is if you look closely there are raised edges that should not be there (right in front of FDR's eyes) + (right by the base of his neck). The characteristics we are wondering about are in the open areas surrounding FDR's bust primarily. It looks almost like some sort of mis-strike but the rim around the edge of the coin doesn't look double struck or anything.

I could see a dime that had been dropped and then run over say in parking lot looking like this except that should flatten it not add extra relief to the coin if you get my drift. Plus like I mentioned above the edges seem to be intact. Something has happened to the face though obviously.

I was just curious what some folks with more experience in the subject might think and I'll relay your thoughts to the owner. I can photograph the back if needed but like I say it looks pretty much normal.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions or anything that is cool too.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidFNYC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish the picture was clearer, but this looks like it could be some kind of "strike-through" when something got into the die, maybe grease, and interfered with the striking of the coin. A better picture would be helpful
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41187 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.This one is for Mike Diamond to comment on.Look genuine to me but I am no pro.Better pics front and back would help. Mike!!
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
08/07/2013 2:34 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53865 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I emailed him.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ErrorCoins222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck through late-stage die cap. I like it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with ErrorCoins222. This dime was struck through a late-stage die cap. All sorts of odd topographies are associated with such errors.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4053 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ErrorCoins222,
Mikediamond, what can we say?
I want to thank you for your numerous post that helped me/all learn at CCF.
Butturff, thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ErrorCoins222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found that struck through die caps bring their best prices when the struck through surface was formed with an extremely wrinkled mid to late-stage die cap. Although I wouldn't put this in that category, it does have an interesting, distorted appearance and should bring a little bit more than your standard example of this error type.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7896 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2013  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
....with much better pics.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2013  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add butturff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Believe it or not this is shot with a 36 megapixel Nikon :)

If you look at the wood grain it's sharp it's just the way the Dime looks. I'll get a shot of the obverse here today.

Thanks all for your help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2651 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2013  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can believe it. Megapixels are just a savy way to sell cameras to people. The cameras sensor and lens are much more important than the number of megapixels.

That's a very neat coin btw. I wouldn't mind finding one of those myself :) thanks for sharing.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2017  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhappy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im sorry I'm new at this and I cant seem to get my post yo go up or pics and I have a 1990 dime I need help with I been trying for hours.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5284 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2017  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I been trying for hours.
Coinhappy, Have a read here and see if there's a hint that will help with your problem.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/tutorials.asp
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 2,472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05