Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Pricing Strategies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2013  01:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bababooey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What are some Strategies folks use for listing on eBay? I have a few coin to sell.

Auctions: what precent of retail do you list it for? The '99 cent no reserve' option seems risky if you don't have a following, and the item is not popular.

Buy it now: seems like list at retail and you can lower it if it does not sell

Best offer: seems like 10% or more over retail and then negotiated. I've certainly bought coins at 60% of listed price ( then again these were not the best coins...)
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2013  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Valiamo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay is a gamble no matter how you post your items. I've tried both the .99 route, and a full asking price listings. If the items are in demand (like silver rounds) they they tend to sell. If they are common or niche items, they will either sell at the .99 or not at all. The last set of auctions I put up, I placed my bottom price as the low bid, and hoped that they sold for more. 20% unsold, 50% sold at the start price, and the rest were 2-3 bidders stepping the prices up, only one item sold for a higher price than retail. Sadly between eBay and Paypal's fees they ate most of the profit up.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2013  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you typically get the highest prices if you go the $0.99 route. But that can be risky, especially for more common items or items not widely collected as you point out. I've had decent luck with starting coins out at a somewhat higher price but one that still represents a bargain. I usually shoot for 30% of what I would like the coin to sell for. So, for example, I might start a $100 coin at $29.99 with a $100 BIN. The price is low enough to get people's interest but not SO low that you get totally killed.

The problem with listing a coin close to it's full value is that most people just look over it and move on. So a $100 coin listed at $79.99 or $89.99 won't sell while the same coin listed lower might sell for $100 or more.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2013  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bababooey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kenkat: thanks for that advice, that is some what my feeling as well (starting as a percent of retail). Personally I'm somewhat reluctant to bid on a auction that is close to retail, as I'm thinking someone else will just bid it higher, etc. Then I lose interest, if it is not something I am really set on. However I'm more likely to bid for a lower precent of retail (for example 30%, as you say) or 99c for a $100 coin. The way eBay is set up, it seem like it keeps the items you bid on, on your 'radar' for longer. Then people are reminded for the auction over and over.
Valued Member
285 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2013  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sg93 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so far I've started auction types with a buy it now option or a buy it now with a best offer option, although I've not had success with either. I need better visibility! lol

but I think the no reserve bit is indeed risky, although maybe that and a lower start price might draw people in IF you are an already well-established presence on eBay. I just scored coins worth more than twice of what I won them for and I can't say I'm complaining
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2013  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember you will pay 13-16% in eBay and paypal fees once the sale has concluded.

If I am not in a hurry to sell, I will list the item as BIN and wait. If I really need to sell an item, I will list it for 7 days at $.99 and no reserve.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12399 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2013  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think you typically get the highest prices if you go the $0.99 route. But that can be risky, especially for more common items or items not widely collected as you point out.

That seems to work well for rare items. I would add though dont do that method during the summer especially August. I cant remember last summer but things were consistently ending much lower than they should have this summer, not that I'm complaining about anything I won
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2013  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember you will pay 13-16% in eBay and paypal fees once the sale has concluded

Are you sure on that? I only pay 6% eBay, 2.9% + $.30 PAYPAL.

OP, If I was you I would look up each item you want to sell and get a good idea what the average "sold" listing price is and also how often the item is selling and how many people are bidding on it. That information will give you your starting point.

Cory
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2013  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you sure on that? I only pay 6% eBay, 2.9% + $.30 PAYPAL.

Here is a link to the eBay fees page http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html
Final value fees of 10% for any item plus listing and optional (value picture pack, bold, scheduled listing, etc.) fees. This has been there new fee structure for at least a few months now.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2013  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe it is cheaper for me cause I have a store.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2013  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked, it is less for me cause I have a store.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12399 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2013  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stores and top rated seller get cheaper rates, but I dont think anyone ever pays 16 percent. 13 sounds right for eBay and paypal combined as the full rate
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2013  02:34 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been paying 10.86% on my last couple of thousand dollars on eBay in fees according to my invoicing from them. I don't have a store as the fees would be lower I don't sell enough to justify the monthly fee right now.I probably should have set one up when I was selling some high end camera lenses a couple of months ago - just for the lower fees I sold around $2600 in 3 lenses so the store set up fee would have saved me quite a bit - doh! Next time. I also just got an invoice for 10% of my postage costs in fees, still cheaper to buy it through eBay than go to the USPS and wait in line.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2013  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shootnstarz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is 10% final value fee up to $100 max. That with the 3% paypal fee, plus the $.39 transaction fee makes it north of 13%. That kills most of the profit on coins.

Other items are not so bad. I sold a bunch of antique model airplane engines and got a big pile of money for some of them. The ONLY place I could get $162 for an engine made in the 40s and missing parts was on eBay. For that I didn't mine paying the fees. Same goes for other collectables that locally you just don't have a market.

Coin selling on eBay to me seems different. Figuring what the coin sold for minus the fees usually means you get less for the coin than it's worth. I know there are exceptions but generally unless you paid a lot less for the coin than it sells for you break even or lose money. Just my HO.

Rick
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2013  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doccholliday to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My last invoice from eBay I paid 16.1% in fees Just for eBay! Wow, what a shame. My girlfriend sales jewelry and I buy coins I think the higher fees was for inserting in 2 categories. We go to auctions and sales and again she buys jewelry for resale and I buy coins to keep. If you add the cost of the jewelry with eBay fees we actually pay over 30% in fees, if we make 100% on our investment. So she has starting selling on etsy.
Edited by doccholliday
09/07/2013 10:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1839 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the breakdown for me

eBay fees, 6% of final value. Most of the time my entry fees are free.
Paypal fees are 2.9% plus 30 cents.

So in most cases I'm right around 9% total fees.

I do have a store, it runs $19.95 per month. Since it knocks my final value fees down from 10% to 6% I only need to sell $500 per month to break even (4% savings on $500 is $20). Beyond that I'm saving money.

Bottom line is if you're selling over $500 per month of coins get a basic store and you'll be paying a total of around 9% in fees (eBay and Paypal).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05