Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Unique 2009a $100 Bill With Green Security Band

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 24,993Next Topic
Page: of 4

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  12:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add IanPaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this bill recently. It is a 2009 series new $100 bill, but instead of the blue holographic band it is a vibrant green. Suspecting it was funny, I called the local federal reserve and they forwarded me to the secret service. When I spoke with the person there and described the bill, she said "we had an email recently that said that there are a couple $100 bills that have the green stripe and that they are legitimate bills. But to keep an eye out for fraudulent bills." She suggested for me to bring the bill down to determine if it's real or not. My wife works at a bank, and she knows without a doubt it is real. Have you ever seen or heard of it?

Edited by IanPaul
01/15/2014 5:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gotboostedvr6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should put it on eBay. Could bring some interesting bids.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7743 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something else to look for when closing the store down tonight.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37694 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. But your title should read 2009A,the 2009 are very collectible.What is the value for the green band?What value for the 2009?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IanPaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I'm new here, and to collecting currency as well. I changed the title as you suggested.

I would post to eBay, but I'm first going to get it authenticated at the secret service and see what the story is behind it. I find it especially strange because I've searched quite extensively through google and not a single mention of it has popped up. Thanks for the replies so far guys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3178 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pretty interesting, please keep us updated on this
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last thing I would do is send it to the Secret Service. Even if you bring it to them in person it may be the last time you see it even if it is genuine. Send it to a paper money grading service for authentication. Since it would be a new type of error, they will do the research without and you will not have to fear confiscation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2110 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2014  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, if the Bank where your wife work accept the bill, I think is enough. Going to the Secret Service could mean not to see the bill again.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2014  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IanPaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a closer photo this morning of the bill. I had my doubts about going to the secret service myself because they could claim it's fake and what argument do I have? Again every security feature is present, the only difference is the color being a vibrant green not blue. I'll post the closer pic now.

You may not be able to see it clearly because I had to shrink the image size, but I can zoom in on my phone and read the micro printing clearly.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2014  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My Silver Destiny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming that this bill will be very collectible in the future
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2014  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jenger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely hold onto this bill do not send it anywhere yet. You could have a gem
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2014  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mullen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is very kool. I am subscribed to learn more about this rare bill.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2939 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2014  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly the very end, or start of the strip roll?
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2014  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IanPaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So here's an update. I called the secret service in a different state, Los Angeles CA in fact) and the counterfeit rep helped me more. He asked for the serial number and I provided it to him and he said it is a legit bill. He advised me to have a bank verify it (which was already done). So now I guess it's still a waiting game. I'll keep everyone posted if I learn of anything new, but this is good news though! Feel free to ask me any other questions or provide any other feedback.
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2014  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jenger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send it out to get graded possibly?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2014  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So he validated it off the number with out seeing the bill?

If you think about it he could just tell you a bill was printed with that number.

If you are sure it isn't environmental damage that caused the error (heat, acetone, some kid with soda and pop rocks) I would just sent it in to be graded. If you are ever going to want to sell it buyers will probably be more willing to bid.

Or you can wait and see if any more turn up and let someone else send theirs in to see what is said.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 24,993Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05