Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Final Attempt To Get $2 Bills & Halves In Circulation

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

708 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2014  10:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, I talked to the two Walmarts in my area, and one of them completely changed their story from being seemingly gung-ho on the idea of my donation program to saying "We are not interested in any programs like that at this time. Did you try asking the local banks?" Then the other Walmart manager said "We don't do things like that"

So, my final plan might be, getting 500 or so XL T-shirts shirts with the obverse of the Kennedy half screen printed on the front, with the words "50th Anniversary!" and (1964-2014) printed, bordering above the top of the coin's obverse image, and the words "Get some! Spend some!" printed, bordering below the bottom of the coin's obverse image, or something like that. Then on the back of the T-shirts, I would have the reverse of the half printed, and maybe, "Ask for some at your local bank, or credit union!" bordering above the top of the coin's reverse, and "If they don't have any, tell them to order some!" bordering below the bottom of the coin's reverse image, if its not too costly to do both sides on a shirt.

And 500 or so XL T-shirts with the front of the $2 bill screen printed on the front of the shirts, with a slogan bordering on top above the $2 bill obverse image similar to "These are NOT rare" and bordering below the $2 bill's obverse, "Get some! Spend some!" And as with the half I would have the reverse of the $2 bill on the back of the T-shirts and have "Ask for some at your local bank or credit union!" bordering above the top of the $2 bill reverse image, and bordering below the bottom of the $2 bill reverse, it would say "If they don't have any, tell them to order some!"

Then, I am going to talk to a local bank, and ask them if they can order a large some of $2 bills and halves, and if they agree, I'll have an ad put in the local newspaper about it, and if I could get the bank's permission, set up a booth inside the bank with the T-shirts, which I would hand out to customers for free, if they withdraw at least $50 in $2 bills, halves, or a mixture of both, totalling no less than $50 worth. If someone withdraws all halves, they get the half dollar coin T-shirt. If they withdraw all $2 bills, the get the $2 bill T-shirt. If they withdraw a mix of both, $2 bills and halves, they will get whichever T-shirt the majority of the denomination that the T-shirt represents. For example, withdrawing $20 in halves and $30 in $2 bills would get you a $2 bill T-shirt, while $30 in halves, and $20 in $2 bills would get you a half dollar coin T-shirt, well, you get the idea)

I know many people here are just going to say that this idea is a futile waste of time and money, but if things go well for me in the coming month, I may end up trying this.

I should have mentioned, I know this idea will not put $2 bills and halves into general circulation nationwide, but I am just hoping to build up some interest in my area, and hope it slowly spreads, even though even I think its pointless, in a way.
Edited by Fox
02/08/2014 12:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2014  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ASLAN TVorlon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with it I guess, I just hope this thread doesn't end with you being carted away in a tight white canvas jacket.

I have worked in telephone surveys and was going to suggest that sort of thing to see what portion of the population might be even interested in halves and $2 bills.

I love trying to pay with halves, the gas station guy gave me a free fountain drink the other day because he didn't want them in his drawer.
Pillar of the Community
708 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good luck with it I guess, I just hope this thread doesn't end with you being carted away in a tight white canvas jacket.

*** lets keep this family friendly ***

Quote:
I have worked in telephone surveys and was going to suggest that sort of thing to see what portion of the population might be even interested in halves and $2 bills.

How did that idea pan out?

Quote:
I love trying to pay with halves, the gas station guy gave me a free fountain drink the other day because he didn't want them in his drawer.

Wow! Free drinks because a cashier rejected the type of currency you had? Thats almost like, UNarmed robbery. LoL I just love spending halves, and $2 bills because people like to snatch those right up like I threw a 24 karat gold coin or a $10,000 bill in their face, but like I said, they usually hate when I give them dollar coins, unless they're Ike's or, believe it or not, SBAs. Some people like the Native American dollars, but not too many care for the President Dollars.

I'm kind of thinking that, on the half dollar coin T-shirts, I might want an image of the obverse of the 1964 Kennedy half, and an image of the obverse of the 2014 Kennedy half. I just dug into a Google image search and found both the images I want to use on the front of the T-shirt. That could be how I put the date images on the shirt. (1964-2014)
Edited by Fox
02/08/2014 01:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Insanity (n): The performing of the same activity over and over again expecting different results...

I must be insane since I keep telling you over and over again that it ain't gonna work.
Edited by n9jig
02/08/2014 08:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4811 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obsessive compulsive issues aside...why would anyone wear a tee shirt with a $2 bill on the front?...but that's just me.

The cost of screening 1000 tee shirts is not small. Why don't you just convert that cost into $2 bills and halves and distribute them at food banks where they can ACTUALLY be appreciated and put into circulation. A couple of each per person will get a meal.

$2.50/$5 per person isn't much but it's better than a dumb tee shirt AND you accomplish your goal of getting them into circulation since I KNOW those people won't put them in a drawer somewhere.

Much better than the bank circus plan...but, again, that's just me.

Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snowman24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fox ..so is your bank going to order halves and 2's for non-customers just to walk off the street ?

plus don't banks get charged a nominal fee for cash orders from armor truck services ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Foxwoods' idea sounds like the best route to take. Give the money to people who will spend the money. Don't waste that money on T-shirts if you can feed people and get them to spend the halves and $2 bills.
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BluegrassRiver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love your enthusiasm for this idea. The Kennedy halves is the better focus (stay focused) because of the recent anniversary. You might try a credit union first for this idea. They are friendlier. I have told banks for years if they put up a small sign at the counter they had 50 cent coins and $2.00 bills available it would generate some interest and goodwill. Then I learned their only interest is in loaning money and your deposits to loan others. It is not coin circulation. T shirts are not the way to advertise or promote. You could give out a few. Use a free Facebook page and free internet hosting page to promote the two products. You could sell by mail your tshirts to those interested. On Facebook you can buy very cheap advertising that actually can be targeted to coin collectors or others. There is no better idea than to give out 50 cent coins in the soup kitchens and thrift stores. Or go to the unemployment lines/offices. You will get the coins in circulation and spread good cheer! Be prepared for the come on I want more than one. Just say one is the limit so you can spread them around to more.l Please do that and let us know what happens. We would all like to hear. Maybe I will do that!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16131 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Obsessive compulsive issues aside...why would anyone wear a tee shirt with a $2 bill on the front?.

Why not. I've seen people wear T shirts with a lot of things on them that I can't understand why they do it. One of the strangest things to me is people that will buy a T shirt with a company or team logo on it. You are PAYING them to be a walking billboard adverting for them. Seems to me they should be paying ME to wear the shirt.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiggam007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep fighting the good fight! Hope it works out!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2014  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll support this and order a box or 2 of halves in my area and start spending them too.
We can start a movement.
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

ANA Member since 2007.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4811 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2014  08:46 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why not. I've seen people wear T shirts with a lot of things on them that I can't understand why they do it.

I agree.....I guess there will be some that will wear them but probably the type that will just cash in the bills/coins after the get their formal wear shirts...
Pillar of the Community
United States
5048 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2014  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give me a free shirt and I'll wear it.

XXL

Or how about "Coins are real money" or "Paying in change isn't a crime" as a slogan.

I can't tell you how many times I have been told by a cashier "I don't know if I can take these" or getting the stink eye when spending halves or dollar coins.
Edited by jack jeckel
02/09/2014 9:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18935 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2014  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think about this. Even if you do get a bank to order $2 bills and Halves, it is only one bank out of possibly many thousands. Even if they and you did every thing you could to promote the usage of those, your still a minority. Even if everone one one this forum joined you, still a minority. Remember there are well over 300 million people in the USA. Most do not care since most are now using credit or debit cards. Eventually there will be no coins or currency at all. When this happens, your bank will have all that stuff sitting there and the manager will put out a hit on you for ruining his buisness.
No one wants those baby sized dollars, no one wants to use Half dollar coins either. $2 bills get looks like your trying to pass off fake money.
Sorry to say but such attempts would have been great some time back but today, not much of a chance.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
5048 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2014  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When this happens, your bank will have all that stuff sitting there and the manager will put out a hit on you for ruining his business

Just think of the CRH opportunity as the sole hunter

I pay cash and coin whenever possible as I feel the 3% credit card fees causes all of us to have to pay more as retailers have to raise their prices to cover the processing fees.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2014  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I pay cash and coin whenever possible as I feel the 3% credit card fees causes all of us to have to pay more as retailers have to raise their prices to cover the processing fees.

We live in a weird word.
My 49 year old heating and air system just gave up.
We got 1.5% to make the purchase,
and $200 to start the two (2) new bank cards.

$100 for my card
$100 for her card

All in all, we saved $432.50 that day
Oh ... The dealer was happy to make the sale

It is about time buyers are getting money back!
Money in a bank pays Zippppp

And you are 100% correct that cards do drive up the cost of selling.
Respectfully, I do not think it is 3%
When I was a very small merchant, I got it at 1.2%
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05