Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Canadian Quarter Large Bust Or Small Bust

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 20,232Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2014  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is easy to spot as nickelsguy said, compare it to a 1968-1972 obverse the beads are right against the rim.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
719 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2014  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whats the going rate for one of these found in circulation? I rarely see circulated ones on eBay as almost all are from PL or SP sets.
Valued Member
165 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2014  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsarecool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JeyRey2000
I have sold a few on eBay recently, they go for about $150.
16 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2015  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_shining_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys, I got frustrated on the lack of info to easily determine these so I have 4 simple ways and a picture of each.

1. The Large Bust will look like the 1972 and previous years, it appears rather large at a glance. The Small Bust will look like the 1974 and future years, it appears somewhat smaller than the previous years.

2. The beads are closer to the rim (almost touching) on the Large Bust. The beads are farther away on the Small Bust.

THIS WAS STILL CONFUSING, SO THEN THERES THIS METHOD BELOW...

3. Count the Beads! the Large Bust has a total of 132 beads, the Small Bust has 120 beads!

THIS WAS AESOME BUT IT WAS HARD ON THE EYES COUNTING ALL THOSE BEADS! SO HERES AN EVEN EASIER WAY I FIGURED OUT AS SEEN IN MY PICS...

4. Count only the beads between the span of the bust (front to back), the Large Bust has 23. The Small Bust has 20.

Ahhh atlast you've been able to now distinguish multiple ways! Enjoy!!

NOTE: There is approximately 10,000 Large Beads of the total 135,985,589 1973 RCMP Quarters.

Cheers,

Mike

*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. Duplicate posts are not permitted, let alone posting this exact same post in every single 1973 large bust thread you could find going back to 2010. ***
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2015  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For now, _this_ is the active 1973 small bust / large bust thread. I have locked all the older ones.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2015  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SB
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2436 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2015  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find the Shining's large/small bead method very inaccurate. It's not looking down the bust tips from the same angle, and anyone can get the result of 20/21/22/23 on either bust. I know someone being overly hopeful will "bend" the angle of the arrows and see a small as a large bust.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10240 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2015  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was established last March that it was Small Bust Vankid.
Why bring it up again.
The question being asked is how to identify the two varieties.
I usually look at the hair.
The small bust has a lot more detail.
Edited by JimmyD
02/23/2015 8:53 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2015  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quickest method is to compare the distance between the rim (where the fields meet the rim) and the beads.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2015  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I look at the right hand tip of the bust. If it's vertically in line with the bottom end of the A in the legend, it's LB. If there is a wide gap, it's SB.
Valued Member
108 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the one you have is a small bust
canadian coins pennies nickels dimes have a large bust from 1965-1978
Valued Member
108 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quarter large bust is 1965-1972 resumed in 1974 ended in 1978
half dollars are 1965-1976 large busts
dollar large busts are 1965-1971
1972 is a bit tricky though
there are two 1972 varieties: on the side with the voyageur, there is beads or denticles
denticles: large bust
beads: small bust
Pillar of the Community
Canada
846 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, the the_shining_85 have a very complex explanation. I want to give almost the same but him was faster.

I will look through the photos to post the trick with a meddle line from " II" to the breads.

About small bust on this design start on 1973 till inclusive 1978. In 1979 they keep same bust but modified the tiara.

It is unclear about the amount of the coins gone on specimen sets and circulation. For that year was no proof only circulation and SP.

Other tricks are the shoulder: 1. the angles of the neck and the back are different. 2. The line of the robe in LB are quite much longer on LB then SB.

SPP I totally agree with yours steps, even I consider the 25 cent 1973 to be a very clear for anyone. Maybe a little more explanation on Charlton will welcome any one.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10240 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why are we rehashing a thread that is six years old. I thought the answer to the OP's question
was quit clear. I don't know what more could be added to a simple question.
Edited by JimmyD
03/08/2021 6:43 pm
Valued Member
108 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lemme tell you, the 1974 bust does not look like the 1973 small bust
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 20,232Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05