Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Rules Forbid Shipping Coins From Us Overseas?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
365 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  11:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SeriousCERES to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I post this query before you all as I know many of you sell/have sold material online (ebay and elsewhere) and may be able to clarify an odd experience I had last week at the USPS.

I recently sold a few numismatic items to buyers in France. I duly made up packages and then filled out customs forms indicating that these were coin sets or coins that I was shipping. The fellow working at the office looked everything over, then pulled up a screen on his workstation that indicated that coins are now not allowed to be shipped overseas!

Having shipped coins overseas many times in the past, you can imagine my shock.

I have recently noticed an uptick in numbers of eBay sellers who state they only ship to the US, but there are still many, many sellers who ship worldwide. What gives? How are they shipping stuff, if it's now against the rules?

What do you folks do?

Thanks for any info and/or opinion!

-SCS
Valued Member
United Kingdom
450 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add awallin01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is interesting, how long has this been in place? And is it a new law? If that's the case it might be worth me buying as much U.S. coinage now rather than later.

Also are these buyers registered as business's? Because I'm sure I can buy coins from registered U.S. business's such as SWC who are mentioned on here.

Sorry I can't be of help, this topic interests me not only as a collector but from a finance perspective.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, money has always been prohibited to ship by the USPS. Collectible coins are a different matter entirely, though - was it specified that they were numismatic collectibles, or another similar description?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1741 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  11:59 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When shipping overseas, on the customs label I describe items as numismatic items... Only time I have ever had an issue was one time shipping to the Netherlands, apparently their customs agents had an issue with coins being mailed in, other than that, I have shipped 100's of coins overseas with no issues as far as prohibition of coins being mailed
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody decided you're shipping "money," not "collectible coins." That's all it is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2031 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arianzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, and try going to another USPS office. I'm sure it will pass.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
772 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the UK and I have bought quite a few coins from the US. Mostly eBay, but also from dealers and once from a Stacks auction.

So far I've not had any problems .. apart from impatience! And overenthusiastic Customs trying to get me to pay import duties when coins are exempt. But that's another story.

Never had a seller tell me they now can't send what I've bought.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
726 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add persistnt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes,, go to a different Post Office....I sometimes say I am shipping metal discs ...which is not a lie ................
.Actually I only shipped once .....
Edited by persistnt
03/14/2014 4:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weird

Darn weird......

Almost like some one is trying to cause trouble.

To wit:

"I am here from the xxxxxxxxxx, and I am here to help you."
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2014  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeriousCERES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the guy was a bit off--like, perhaps a bit cognitive-developmentally challenged; everything you guys have posted seems to confirm the suspicion. I'm telling him collectors' coins, numismatics, and he's thinking actual spendable money... Anyway. I'll put a different name on future shipments. Thanks all for your input!
12 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2014  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeeMilligan123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is very interesting.
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2014  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoplustwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought numerous coins from the US, shipped to Canada. I've received em all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2014  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerseyben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every time I have received coins from overseas, the customs form says "numismatic items". Now I understand why.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16453 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2014  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have received numismatic packages from the 'States with a customs label:

'metallic disc samples'.

At least this is wholly truthful from a Customs viewpoint, and it always passes X-Ray testing, without the package being opened.
This, at least, does not indicate 'money'; unfortunately, NCLT does legally fall under this definition.

The word 'numismatic' would be OK, but could indicate significant value, and may attract the attention of an unscrupulous individual, either inside or outside the U.S.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2346 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2014  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I send coins with a "lucky badge winner" label on the front. This to disuade any inquisitive postmen as to the value of any small, lumpy metal object that may be within - though as they are sandwiched in cardboard it really shouldn't really be noticeable. Still, that sort of label indicates worthless junk to all but the "lucky" winner.

I always put "numismatic token" on the customs label too which is vauge enough.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2014  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyJames to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used souvenir coin in the description before. The word souvenir makes just about anything seem cheap and worthless.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05