Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 S...vam Or No?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2014  8:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I really like the look of this girl, and VAM or not, I am likely going to make an offer. But, I do believe I see a die crack in the date, through the 18. And maybe some clashing behind her head?

Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-1882-MO...em3cd7f862fa
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never mind. Wrong link. The one I was talking about is gone. :(
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2014  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a friendly reminder ... ALL Morgan and Peace dollars are VAMs. It's a cataloging of dies pairs used to mint the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get that a coin with no die cracks or clashes or any of the like is still technically a VAM. So what then is the proper way to ask if someone sees certain characteristics?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically the number associated with a die pair is called a VAM number. Individual characteristics, i.e., doubling, cracks, die scratches, cuds, gouges, are called "pick-up points" or PUPS. These identify both the die involved in the minting and the progression in the die's service life.

Quote:
So what then is the proper way to ask if someone sees certain characteristics?

I commented so others, not familiar with VAMs, would not be confused with the terminology. All Morgan and Peace dollars are VAMs ... a cataloging number identifying both obverse and reverse dies used and the die state at the time of minting.

Use the term "PUPS" when referring to individual characteristics of the die.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Use the term "PUPS" when referring to individual characteristics of the die.

For the record, that's the term "pickups" turned into a short version, as we Americans are prone to doing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2014  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several ways to explore your coin for further identification. All start with photographs. Usually full obverse and full reverse. And we go from there for specific areas.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05