Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's Just See All Your 1859 Large Cents

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1465 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2015  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okiecoiner

Can you help with this 1 please
I think the REV is E37a and OBV is 36a but it doesn't gel ?
plus I am still working on it

The I in Regina looks like a cud or ?

REV die crack 6 and 12

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Edited by fourmack
05/08/2015 7:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2822 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2015  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect or use the Haxby system. You are speaking Greek to me. I can't tell about the "I" but it's not right.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2822 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2015  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me like a shaving from a previous planchet was caught in the "I" and then plastered it on the next planchet where it stuck.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2015  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..okiecoiner nailed it...
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2015  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don, your attribution of PC59-36a1 (36a + E37a) is right on. The extra metal on the I is puzzling. I can't see it being a cud. But, I don't think Okie's explanation works, either. If the extra metal was from a stray flake that got struck onto the I when the coin was struck, it seems to me the straight sides of the I in the die would have shaved the portions at the side off (or at least greatly flattened them). In fact, the side portions are raised and protrude outward from the sides of the I.
Edited by JHax
05/09/2015 8:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2822 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2015  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the flake/shaving was inside the I of the working die when it struck the next coin. Bottom of the die would equal the top, most raised part of the letter.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4697 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2015  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong but I believe it is just some damage...it looks incused and pushing out to the top of the I, it would make sense considering the other damage.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 19 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1465 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2015  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Mr Haxby yahoo another one for my collection and just out of interest (how rare or not)
Cheers Don

Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2015  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie, it seems to me that if the "flake" was entirely inside the I, then there would be no extra material showing at the sides. If the flake sat across the I, then the parts at the sides would either be sheared off or at least mashed down when the coin was struck. That isn't what we see.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2015  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with dollarman it looks like PMD to me also.

Cheers, SIC
Pillar of the Community
Canada
582 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2015  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add viper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fourmack I do have one like that with the I in Regina looking like a burning candle. I will have to find it!

MG
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1761 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2015  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

this wouldnt be dp#4 would it?

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1465 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2015  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close but no prizes today(my thoughts)
as the bottom of the 9 doesn't come down far enough
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1761 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2015  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Close but no prizes today

my next guess would be pg 283 2011 charlton?
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2015  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to see a huge splitting d/c at leaf 7 ..and another d/c at leaf 11...

This is a late DP #4 ..note the RP 5 in the date also..

Notice how all of the obverse beads are joined together by a crack from bead to bead..

Edited by DEVLEC
06/16/2015 5:32 pm
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05