Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964-D Cast Counterfeit Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  2:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ndgoflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Who? What? When? Where? Why? I am fairly confident on how. Weighs 1.6 grams.

Edited by ndgoflo
03/14/2015 2:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well. That sure is interesting! Where did you find it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ndgoflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About 10 years ago I was doing a coin swap with a fellow in the Netherlands. He mentioned the fake penny, I told him it had to be damage of some sort, as no one in their right mind would waste the time/effort/resources for such a worthless coin. He assured me otherwise and tossed it in as part of the trade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ndgoflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge isn't cracked, that is the parting line between the two die halves and the "fin" is where the two halves didn't seal properly. The sprue is just off to the side of the fin. Also, the "wrinkle" through CENT is poor fill where the metal cooled before totally filling the die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1295 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rollsearcher37 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it have a hollow ring to it? If it does it could be a Magician's coin.

P.S. I think I deleted my original post by mistake, so I'll just re-post what I said:

I'm pretty sure this is a genuine coin that was subjected to a harsh dip in acid at one point. Acid eats away at the surface of the coin, making it weigh quite a bit less. I think I read somewhere that it cuts down on the circumference as well. So that would explain the big weight difference.

Not sure why the edge is cracked: I'm sure coop will be able to explain that.
Edited by Rollsearcher37
03/14/2015 4:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ndgoflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid coin. I have worked in the casting industry for nearly 20 years, I see these type of faults everyday. Just wondering why anyone would bother.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10724 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would anyone want to counterfeit a 1964D Lincoln cent?
True North
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks just like coins I dig up at a nearby hot springs, you'd be surprised at how much the sulfur eats them away.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2015  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing someone was expanding their casting skills into smaller territory, perhaps innocently. Any ideas about composition?
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2015  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dnwheeler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that it looks like someone was experimenting with bronze casting. The same way people buying 3D printers today are copying all sorts of stuff, when someone first starts casting, it seems likely that they would look around the house for something fun to cast.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2015  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, its a counterfiet. Interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1796 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2015  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a fake Ike that looks pretty similar. My guess is some kid's shop project. :-)
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2015  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gshobar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was that it was PVC damage. The crevices in the first pic kind of look like the PVC on another coin I have. The other pics definitely disprove that theory though. I'm going to have to agree with either a counterfeit or an extreme acid bath.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05