Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Else Dislike The Process Of Taking Coin Pictures?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,318Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2015  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, there's still nothing like axial for capturing toning, which ignores all the usual rules. I still like my jury-rig for Proofs, though:

9" Circline fluorescent fixture with a hole cut through the center to stick the camera. 360 degrees (nearly) of uninterrupted light seems to nail them nicely. Just let the bulb warm up first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2015  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one that might benefit from axial lighting. The photo appears flat and lifeless. Problem may be compounded by the slab.

Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2015  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that's a good candidate. With an axial setup, though, you're probably going to get a nice glare off the plastic right where you don't want it. This can be fixed with a larger light source (incandescent bulb or R30 type) and glass placement a couple degrees off - it'll push the glare to one side a bit into a place you can crop it.

Wish I could pick Todd Pollock's (blucc) brain on that. The trouble is, he's making his living from shooting coins and sharing his methods is obviously against his better interests.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a combination of (1) a dual photo frame for the ability to move the glass at will, (2) one jansjo for direct, movable lighting pointing directly to the glass, (3) a larger daylight bulb lamp that has its light bounced to the right direction via one of those tri-fold boards + aluminum foil, and (4) an otherwise blacked-out room. Slight changes to the angle of the jansjo is all that is usually required between coin shots.

Without axial lighting, the toning on this one is barely noticeable:

Always room for improvements, but this at least gives me the ability to show things like the speckled black toning on the Franklin, and proof surfaces like the other two.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 3,318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05