Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us$2200 For A 1780 Maria Theresa Thaler, And I'm Happy!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2015  07:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The one that finally didn't get away. In 2010 I missed out on an Ebay sale of a copper trial strike MTT from the Birmingham mint. I was out bid in the last few seconds at 1500.00. Given that there were only 8 examples of this trial I haven't held much hope of getting one. On sunday there was a floor auction in Salzburg. I had submitted a pre-bid...... today the coin arrived ( with the bill). It good getting it but also a little depressing as there is one less coin to dream about!!

Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2015  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool, are you going to have it silver plated?

Joe Paonessa
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2015  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! I know how hard it can be to find and obtain "the coin". A great feeling when you do. Enjoy it!
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2015  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very funny Joe!! see you in a couple of weeks
Edited by austrokiwi
06/06/2015 12:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1210 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2015  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's special with this coin, can you explain, Ian? The saltire looks like a French type. Which specimen was this trial strike for? Henry
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2015  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's special with this coin, can you explain, Ian? The saltire looks like a French type. Which specimen was this trial strike for? Henry

Henry you will find it in Hafner's book under H 67. It was struck in Birmingham.

ON the reverse: look at the Hungarian cross( 1st quadrant;ie upper left). It has the Brussels mint identifier( only two cross bars instead of three).

On the obverse: Look at the pearls in the diadem. There are only 7 (the usual is 8). There is a gap where the left most pearl should be.

Whats important about it... its known to be struck in Birmingham, Only eight trial strikes came from that mint. They are practice strikes made while setting up the press(es) to ensure every thing is working well. Probably struck in 1949. This coin has already told me a lot.

Such as:

the quality of the strike is similar to the business strike Brussels/Birmingham coins in my collection. That tell me they all came from the same master dies.

and: in 2010 Another collector had an example and shared photos with me it looked to us like the edge iron join point on the edge was the identifier between Brussels and Birmingham, my example doesn't have the same marking..so it means that identifier isn't valid. Thats a little disappointing but I know more than I did a week ago, (even though it means I actually know less than I thought I did!!)

This copper trial is very slightly smaller( diameter) than a production strike. That may be causing the difference. I would now say with considerable confidence that there is unlikely to be an identifiable difference between Birmingham and Brussels mint coins....so we should just combine them into one variety.

Fo me its a huge find numismatically speaking...from the collectors point of view did I mention there were only 8 struck( and I have one !!)
Edited by austrokiwi
06/06/2015 11:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3929 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2015  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, Ian. Great acquisition. You can see that the flan is slightly undersized. Wondeful strike, as might be expected with fresh dies.
Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1210 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2015  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..in 2010 Another collector had an example and shared photos with me it looked to us like the edge iron join point on the edge was the identifier between Brussels and Birmingham, my example doesn't have the same marking..so it means that identifier isn't valid...

Hi Ian, if what your guess is correct, it would be a great conclusion - does this means H67=H68 is established?

To me, I can never find any Birmingham piece for years as the neeed of the compliance of the edge identifier - one joint point rather than the usual 2 points.

If this rule is broken, some of my Brussel pieces would become the Birmingham pieces but I could never work out which is which as both Birmingham and Brussel pieces were from the same die.

Do I interpret your conclusion wrong?

Henry

Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2015  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YOu have got the idea. Birmingham had a much lower mintage than Brussels so it should be much harder to find. I found mine in my collection when the other collector provided me with the edge photos of his copper example. that one exampe of mine with the single dot might be Birmingham, but I can no longer say that it is. If 2 trial strikes ( from the same run) don't match in that feature it suggests to me the edge difference is due to the way the dies are set up, not to a die difference. The implication being such an identifier could possibly be seen on a brussels mint coin.
Edited by austrokiwi
06/07/2015 12:18 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05