Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint Announces 2016 America The Beautiful Quarters Program Coin Designs

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) today announced the five new reverse (tails side) designs that will appear on the 2016 coins in the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program.

The 2016 coins honor Shawnee National Forest (Ill.), Cumberland Gap National Historical Park (Ky.), Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (W.Va.), Theodore Roosevelt National Park (N.D.), and Fort Moultrie at Fort Sumter National Monument (S.C.).

Shawnee National Forest

The design depicts a close view of Camel Rock with natural vegetation in the foreground and a red-tailed hawk soaring in the sky overhead. Inscriptions are "SHAWNEE," "ILLINOIS," "2016," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." The reverse was designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) artist Justin Kunz and will be engraved by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Jim Licaretz.

Cumberland Gap National Historical Park

The design features a frontiersman gazing across the mountains to the West. Many pioneers used Cumberland Gap on their journey into the western frontiers of Kentucky and Tennessee. Inscriptions are "CUMBERLAND GAP," "KENTUCKY," "2016," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," and "FIRST DOORWAY TO THE WEST." The reverse was designed by AIP artist Barbara Fox and will be sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Joseph Menna.

Harpers Ferry National Historical Park

The design features John Brown Fort, the site of John Brown's last stand during his raid on the Harper's Ferry Armory. Inscriptions are "HARPERS FERRY," "WEST VIRGINIA," "2016," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." The reverse was designed by AIP artist Thomas Hipschen and will be sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Phebe Hemphill.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

The design depicts a young Theodore Roosevelt on horseback surveying the terrain near the Little Missouri River. Inscriptions are "THEODORE ROOSEVELT," "NORTH DAKOTA," "2016" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." The reverse was designed by AIP artist Joel Iskowitz and will be sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Phebe Hemphill.

Fort Moultrie at Fort Sumter National Monument

The design depicts Sergeant William Jasper returning the regimental flag to the ramparts while under attack from a British ship. Inscriptions are "FORT MOULTRIE," "SOUTH CAROLINA," "2016," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." The reverse was designed by AIP artist Richard Scott and will be sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Joseph Menna.

The obverse (heads side) of the coins will continue to feature the familiar 1932 portrait of George Washington by John Flanagan. Required obverse inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST," and "QUARTER DOLLAR."

The United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Program is authorized by the America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008 (Act) (Public Law 110-456). The Act directs the bureau to design, mint, and issue quarter-dollar coins emblematic of a national park or other national site in each state, the District of Columbia, and the five U.S. territories. In accordance with the Act, the Mint is issuing the new quarters at the rate of five per year until 2020 in the order in which each honored site was first established. The final coin will be released in 2021.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1810 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A decent group of designs, at least they will be a notch above the meh 2015 ATB. Should be outstanding in the 5oz size. Looking forward to the TR, Moultrie and Harper's Ferry pucks.
Learn More...
United States
73203 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. I was really hoping for a different choice for Ft. Moultrie. If not that one, then another. I guess out of the designs with William Jasper and the flag, it was the best choice. But I really like the simple symbolism of my first choice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Japan
548 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the Cumberland gap! The Shawnee and TR are pretty good as well.
Have a great day!

Want list: http://goccf.com/t/347082

My collections:
OFEC (One from every century) http://goccf.com/t/322232#2825498
BU Jefferson 1938-present, BU Sacajawea, Circulated US Date set 1776 - present
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the Shawnee will make the best looking 5oz puck for 2016.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Young Lincoln Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These designs are O.K except Shawnee, I really like that one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2015  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... Will that teddy br made in puck form?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add welder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Will that teddy br made in puck form?

Oh yeah, it sure will. The TR is my second favorite for 2016.
Pillar of the Community
United States
552 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to purchase an ATB 5-ounce silver coin, but I think 2016's Theodore Roosevelt design will be my first. Would look good displaying it alongside a 2013 Teddy Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles set and the 2016 National Park Service gold commemorative.
Learn More...
United States
73203 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2015  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking that Ft. Moultrie would be my first five ounce purchase, but I will probably continue to abstain from that series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1228 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2015  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HOLLYWOOD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulation release dates

#31 Illinois Shawnee National Forest Feb. 8, 2016
#32 Kentucky Cumberland Gap National Historical Park April 11, 2016
#33 West Virginia Harpers Ferry National Historical Park June 20, 2016
#34 North Dakota Theodore Roosevelt National Park Sept. 12, 2016
#35 South Carolina Fort Moultrie (Fort Sumter National Monument Nov.14,2016
Pillar of the Community
United States
2734 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These will all look good in "puck" form, but man that Theo. Roosevelt will be sensational as a 5-oz!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3306 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda surprised they didn't go with Mammoth Cave National Park for Kentucky. It is an actual national park and there's not a lot of national parks to pick from east of the Mississippi. I have been to Cumberland Gap though and it is pretty neat and historically much more significant I guess.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2016  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 01GTB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably would have looked too cluttered on the quarters. But I think the overlook of the town of Harpers Ferry from the ridge would have been the best design for the 5 oz.
Learn More...
United States
73203 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2016  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Kinda surprised they didn't go with Mammoth Cave National Park for Kentucky.
They are saving that for ATB Round Two (2022~2033).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9780 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2016  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the TR and Harpers designs. Those will both be spectacular in puck format. Shawnee should show well on the big screen too.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05