Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Liberty Cap Large Cent Gear/Pie Crimper?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 4,381Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
16362 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  9:44 pm Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this topic Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Or at least that looks like what it was.
Some people back then made their own dough cutting or crimping tools by riveting a Large Cent to a handle.
Thought I'd share mine.
I have my thoughts on the Sheldon number but..not 100% sure.

ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1483 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL still an interesting coin for sure!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9437 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great piece of history V.

If this old girl could just tell her story..
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is amazing! How many of us would have tossed this in the trash? Thanks so much for posting this great tangible piece of history.
Edited by noD
08/14/2015 10:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, that's one early crimper, v!
Are you thinking 1796 Breen obverse 4 (S-84, 85, 86, 87)? Any luck on that reverse?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7299 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for one of the baking sessions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tryna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love stuff like this. Somewhere someone repaired his wife's broken dough perferator
instead of just buying a new one.

"How many of us would have tossed this in the trash?"

Progress... now we are throwing it all away.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go for an entire pie crimper date set. I bet they are out there. I once considered making a date set with cents where they had the crude alteration of the E to a U on the reverse.

Edited by OldSkoolMadSkilz
08/15/2015 2:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
16362 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

p, I'm convinced it's 1796 and appears to be an obv. 4.
I'm still researching the reverse..there are a few defining devices visible enough to pair it hopefully :-)
ANA LM1214396
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great minds think alike!
The OF sure is clear, for what that's worth. In your pic, the last A in AMERICA is at the very bottom, with the ribbons a bit clockwise from there. I'm thinking that A is awfully close to that right hand ribbon. Perhaps so close that the tip of the outer leaf at the bottom right cluster may point between I and C, rather than C and A. Is that what you were thinking? The reverse that would fit that picture would also probably be the one most statistically likely.
Edited by philadelphian
08/15/2015 3:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
16362 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I get home, I'll study that closer..I saw that too!

Be hanging at the Grand Canyon next few days camping. Thought I'd share this in the meantime :p
ANA LM1214396
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where in the world did you come across this sweet baker lady vermont? Did the seller know anything about it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2015  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoy! And look out for those toxic waste spills!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7415 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  01:43 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW I'd post over at the secret EAC forum - if you are a member, they'd love to see this one John! I'm thinking it's more a gear than a pie crimper, but who really knows?

P.S. If you are not an EAC member let me know if I can post it for you? I'd be happy to, and I'd bet the S# variety would be a pretty good and quick answer coming from them.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Learn More...
United States
16362 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2015  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go ahead and post it westcoin. That's cool!

Dave
ANA LM1214396
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2015  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerseyben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a pie crimper. It is too irregular to be a gear.

I want it!
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 4,381Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05