Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ike Silvers For $4?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,145Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  3:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! Perhaps you can shed some light on this for me.

I was looking on Ebay at prices for Blue Ikes, the cheapest I could find was $10/ea, with the exception of the 1973 which was $15. Also, the 1973 p & d clad were $5/ea, I'm assuming because they were NIFC.

So I went down to my LCC today, and I bought 71, 72, and 73 Blue Ikes for $4/ea and a full Bicentennial Silver set for $7.

My question is - Did I get a swinging deal on them at my LCC or is Ebay just that much of a ripoff? I can't understand such a large price disparity.

Thank you!

AC
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not TOO familiar with them, but that seems like a really good deal... yes Ebay may be a bit overpriced but that still seems underpriced. Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you got a good price. Most dealers would charge more.

United States
47 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add torpedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the melt value is $4.59, seems like a good score
Valued Member
United States
496 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scstrawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great deal!
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks for the feedback, I was scratching my head wondering why he only charged me $4. I didn't even negotiate with him. He just said $4 each. And I keep looking at the packages to make sure they're silver lol.... They all have the blue "Eisenhower Uncirculated Silver Dollar" token with them.

Edit: On another note, he tried charging me $21 per Silver Eagle when spot is $14.59! Is that outrageous or what?
Edited by ACWhammy
09/30/2015 4:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to say I paid $15 for the full silver bicentennial set at my LCS and looked on eBay and it was closer to $17.50 range... I'd say just by getting that for $7 that the rest are likely underpriced as well...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6583 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like the owner was on my meds

Great buy - at that price I would have gotten more of them if he had them.

Congrats for sure
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teo2015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The local coin shops seem to be a better place for a lot of items like mint and proof sets, and more modern coins. Last time I was at a local shop they had 2007 Presidential dollar proof sets in their $3.95 bin. There were 4 one dollar coins in it, but they said there were to many people selling and not enough buying so they were stuck with them. They have to break them out of the case to deposit the coins with the bank, so they were discounting them to avoid the work of opening the case, hoping the potential nickel profit would get someone else to do it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$21 is not out of line for a Silver Eagle. They are never sold anywhere near spot. $20 ish is the going rate for a single coin, especially in a retail shop. Rent, payroll, electric, insurance etc.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great deal for sure
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay is not a store, but an auction house. The price is on an ongoing auction unless you checked a specific eBay Store seller. What someone is willing to pay today because they want one doesn't mean they are willing to pay that tomorrow should another one come up.

eBay is just proof of the concept that "Something is only worth what someone else will pay for it."
Learn More...
United States
90010 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2015  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would pay four dollars for them all day long. Great buy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4541 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2015  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the dealer must have thought they were Clad instead of 40%, I am thinking.. or either he/she paid 2 bucks and figured they would make 100% at 4 bucks
Pillar of the Community
United States
2802 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2015  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As hard as it is for me to believe, I am also inclined to believe that he thought they were clad. I would have cleared them out at $4 each.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof ( PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Learn More...
United States
90010 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2015  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically, they are clad, just not the typical cupro-nickel (CuNi) clad.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,145Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05