Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Pieces Of Numismatic-related Art

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
555 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  4:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up some interesting pieces of numismatic-related art recently and figured I'd show them off on the forum.

First, a copy of the Spring 2001 GNA Journal signed by Sacagawea dollar model Randy'L HeDow Teton.

Next, a Frank Gasparro print of the bald eagle design featured on the Eisenhower and Susan B. Anthony dollar reverses.

Below is a reproduction sheet of 56 Military Payment Certificates from 18 different series printed on high quality, banknote-like paper.

Last, I got a framed 32-note sheet of Series 1981 one dollar notes.

The Gasparro print is hung up, but I haven't selected spots for the three other pieces yet. I figured they'll make nice pieces in a wood-paneled study someday.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5827 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool artwork! I'm kind of jealous!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, that FG eagle print is definitely not the FEV, lol (friendly eagle variety)
Pillar of the Community
United States
555 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha...I agree. It's certainly a claws out eagle.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy the model for the Sac reminds me of one of my close friend's daughters who has always been like a family member in our house too. In fact my actual daughter is named for this other "first daughter" of mine. I like the Sac design, but I don't think the image on the coin does the model justice.

All of these are fantastic finds. I really like the Non-FEV by FG.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice acquisitions. The AEV (Angry Eagle Variety) definitely has some numismatic significance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7050 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  03:02 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite piece is in a padded wrapped box at the moment, but it's Peter Max's Liberty ( Peace dollar) head in colored pencil/charcoal print of the Kagin's 1983 San Diego ANA sale catalog cover that I had professionally matted and framed. I've not seen many prints over the years. Just wish I had Peter Max autograph it, he is actually pretty good friends with another old friend of mine. Here is a little history on the piece I own along with a photo.

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n11a08.html

I also have stored (somewhere) quite a few old 1980's & 90's BEP souvenir cards purchased at various ANA shows over the years.

Atlas642 - I really like your Gasparro Print, simply gorgeous, worthy of any wall in my house!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1990crxdriver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to finally see the Eagle print that I made for Frank Gasparro back in 1991. You know only 20 of those were ever made. I know this because I was the printer. He signed the very first one and gave it to me. I just put it up for sale on Ebay in case anyone here is interested. You can read the story about it there. He was a very funny and cool guy.

Quote:
FRANK GASPARRO - PERSONAL PRINT SIGNED in 1991.

For Sale! One of only 20 prints that I made while working at a photolab in 1991. Done for the 10th engraver of the United States Mint Frank Gasparro. Personally signed for me after printing the job for him. This print was made for him to be given out as Christmas presents to his family and friends back in 1991. I know of only 1 other print out there that was signed and displayed. I don't know what was done with the rest of the prints. However I do know only 20 of these prints ever existed since I was the printer.

This was a print made from an artwork that Frank brought into the lab to have copied and prints made of.

It represents the eagle art that he originally wanted on the back of some of the coin designs he made like the Eisenhower dollar in the 70's. However the mint rejected a lot of his designs for being too strong and menacing looking. This design art was his vision that he liked and he used it as his personal design and made while teaching art at a local college in Philadelphia after he left the Mint in the 80's.

The print is on a 16x20 sheet of paper approximately 16x16 square kept in Mint condition still in it's original box...not framed.

I did find a link to the other print that I found online to show you what it looks like from some other person who acquired one of these prints. The autograph is in the same position. You can verify his signature easily as there are a lot of his signatures out there on the internet. His signature is not the greatest as when he took the print out of the box all we had were pens in the lab. No black permanent markers and writing on the photograph was hard to do and the ink wouldn't come off onto the print. He felt bad about it so he tried to go over it for me so it would look good. No big deal that's the way he was. A perfectionist in signing his name just like he did his engraving!

Link to the other print

One of only 20 prints that I made while working at a photolab in 1991. Done for the 10th engraver of the United States Mint Frank Gasparro. Personally signed for me after printing the job for him. This print was made for him to be given out as Christmas presents to his family and friends back in 1991. I know of only 1 other print out there that was signed and displayed. I don't know what was done with the rest of the prints. However I do know only 20 of these prints ever existed since I was the printer.

It represents the eagle art that he originally wanted on the back of some of the coin designs he made like the Eisenhower dollar in the 70's. However the mint rejected a lot of his designs for being too strong and menacing looking. This design art was his vision that he liked and he used it as his personal design and made while teaching art at a local college in Philadelphia after he left the Mint in the 80's.

*** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable

. ***
edited by moderator to remove link
Edited by 1990crxdriver
09/19/2019 02:17 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05