Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Amazing On-A-Budget Macro Pics

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,653Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
6307 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is CRUDE - but was a test to build the system more prfessionally. I had a lot of fun with this.
Parts I used:
1. iPhone 4S or later (camera quality needed)
2. Laser pointer to rip the lens out of.
3. Scrap plastic from picture frame
4. Drill bit the size of the lens or a little smaller.
5. Electrical tape

Instructions:
1. Ruin laser pointer by removing lens
2. Cut scrap plexi piece from old picture frame (I traced my iPhone's corner on the plexi to match it up - the rest of the cut was random).
3. Drill hole in plexi same size as lens - b/c its plastic, the cooling effect after drilling makes the hole a micro bit smaller so the lens has a nice tight snap in fit.
4. Tape the slab with lens to the iPhone back while lining up the lens of the iPhone camera and mounted lens.
5. A CD and 3 water bottle caps formed what I rested the phone on b/c a 2X2 slid under the iPhone at this height is in focus - try something else to prop yours up if this does not work. When I did this the first time, the CD was not needed - the system is crude - but is proof of concept to build a better mechanism with this macro.

The macro pics came out amazing - scroll down...

Results:

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Edited by Earle42
10/22/2015 5:48 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool project.

You can share it on Instructables.com.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6307 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2015  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I freequent there as well. This was the inspiration for this. I had built a microscope (as in another post) from instructions there, but it was for my iPad which I found had a less than useable camera. Then my wife got an update to her iPhone and I inherited the 4s. I don't have a cell b/c I have no use and also don't want a 24 hour leash.

But I wanted one for its camera - so its fun and experimentation time!

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10499 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love it. But now I have to destroy a laser pointer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8673 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's amazing how well this works. With a DSLR, you have to use focus stacking to get closeup shots like this.
Learn More...
United States
87665 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
6307 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2015  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's amazing how well this works. With a DSLR, you have to use focus stacking to get closeup shots like this.

This system still has to stack things - water bottle caps and CDs

I know Darth Morgan has another thread where he shows his setup for taking non-macro coin pics showing toning, luster, etc. Even SsupperDdave said the pics he was getting with his iPhone 4S were amazing (and that's saying something!).

I cannot personally justify the cost for a professional camera so need to improvise - which is very fun.
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome and very educational thread! Thank you for sharing! That's definitely a good way to get better pictures for cheap.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool project.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,653Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05