Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Anything.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2015  11:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was going through my 1956 dimes looking for dot varieties. Found 2 not a problem identifying those but came across this. Is it PMD or something else? The mark under the 5.
Sorry I couldn't get better pictures I usually rely on extra sunlight too, none of that right now.

Edited by Talonbat
11/07/2015 11:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
618 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lambecolin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YES----a dot ----a die chip dot---but not a variety as it was produced on a working die.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
618 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lambecolin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I changed my mind----you have found a variety if many examples can be found--ie all examples come from one working die and not from mere Die Deterioration.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dots and spots like these are quite common and minor according to Zoell.
He has one listed like this as B279f in his Minor Coin Varieties booklet.
He also has about thirty different dots and spots varieties none make it to his Major Variety booklet.

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the info. Is there anywhere to buy the book or ebook perhaps? The one I see on ebay is $100 is that the going rate?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, up until about 8 months ago I had the Zoell catalogs for Major and Minor; then WHAM--they are no longer in my library. Disappearance still a mystery; maybe got discarded in office/library reorganization? Guess we'll never know.
To answer your question: owners of these now consider them to be 'nuggets of gold' and price accordingly. They are extremely scarce to find. Good luck. Frankly, I won't lay out $100 for one; I'm too cheap.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05