Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found One An 1881 H Triple N

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  9:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Had this 1881H for 25+ years but never really looked at it CLOSELY; well tonight I did.
==

== another perspective

I really do love my new microscope.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1464 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2015  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep page 305 triple N
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2015  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will find heavily repunched and well-offset N's for many of the 1881 working dies. They used the master 1876 punch to make all the working dies and the '76 has single-serif N's in Canada and Regina. Every single '81 working die(except 1) had both N's repunched and, since it took 2-4 whacks with the hammer & punch, many of them have some pretty crude looking N's in either or both places, depening upon the skill of the whacker.
Valued Member
Canada
474 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2015  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Strach-Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a keeper no matter how many times I see this variety it never gets old.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
765 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2015  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all of these it's a great example of multiple re-punching.
As fourmack already mentioned this is the coin from page 305, I've had pretty good results in finding these but not so much with the coin on page 306 you'll have to add that one to your list.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2015  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I give up. What edition of Charlton do I need for identifying all the varieties. It's quite obvious I do not
what is equal to the task. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2015  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are working with large cents, then you need the 2011 (65th edition) of Charlton. DO NOT use the Charlton reprint of Jack Griffin's work (called Monograph 1 by Charlton) because the photos are matched incorrectly to the written descriptions on about 25% of the entries, especially the '59's and '81's. The 2011 Charlton is hard to find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2015  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, ya'll. fourmack sent me a link and I was able to order one. Now maybe the will settle down to a dull roar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2015  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, my Charlton arrived and I've been digging and looking and did NOT find an 1881H to fit page 306. But I'll keep looking. Think I'll start with page 269 and go from there. Seems like a worthwhile project for cold, wet, windy days.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
577 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2015  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tfred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres a nice triple punched "N"

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2015  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..Many of the Landon pieces did not advertise the varieties on the holder or in the sale descriptions..

$$$$ ..and it's all your.....but nasty green dots eating into it now...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1275 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2015  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice, tfred, very nice for sure!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05