Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Banknote Prints

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
611 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2015  4:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T1Steel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These 2 prints were gifts and I know nothing about them.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2015  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are really neat.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1791 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2015  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes very nice, but probably would be better appreciated in the paper money and banknotes forum, or even over in the stamp forums.
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2016  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just stumbled on this thread, a little late. I can tell you something about them. Hopefully it won't spoil your opinion of the engravings, which are terrific.

The Notre Dame engraving was clipped from a page out of the 1955 book, "The Story of the American Bank Note Company." It has more than a dozen pages of banknote vignettes, portraits and ornaments. This is a wonderful book, that has unfortunately caught the eye of some unethical dealers. They've discovered they can make more by buying the book, cutting the pages up and reselling them as individual pieces. This is something of a pet peeve of mine, so I try to educate collectors about it.

The war eagle came from a different ABNCo product, but was similarly clipped from a larger page of engravings. I'll have to do a little research but I'm sure I can track it down.

Since these were gifts, I wouldn't necessarily mention it to the gift giver, who may not have been aware of their origins.

Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found it. The war eagle came from a sheet out of the American Bank Note Archive series. There were six "portfolios" issued between 1987 and 1992, each one housed a dozen panels of engravings on different themes. This one was on the 1987 "Winged Majesty" panel featuring eagles.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2405 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great detective work GregAlex! I've seen that exact same book last fall at my university used book sale, placed at the antique section. I think it was priced about a hundred bucks or more, very expensive so I wasn't able to get it.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Valued Member
United States
368 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ABN book used to be easily available for around $30. As they are bought and destroyed the short supply has driven up the price.
Edited by GregAlex
02/03/2016 12:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
611 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2016  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T1Steel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow , been out of the loop for a bit here , appreciate the info @GregAlex!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have and enjoy the book Greg references along with the American Bank Note Company Archives (6 editions).

This arrived today. It's a print of an American Bank Note Company vignette. Dated to the 1890's and labeled Quadriga #82.

Those are some gnarly looking Horses.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those are some gnarly looking Horses.

Indeed. Perhaps training for the apocalypse?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39388 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really, the engraving is remarkable in its capture of raw energy.
Learn More...
United States
75071 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05