Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Women on Banknotes  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2016  5:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One of the types of Banknotes that I have been collecting are "Women on Banknotes"

Have been putting together a list as well as acquiring copies. I am hoping to write a ebook one day (perhaps when I am retired :) ) on the topic with a small bio/history on each woman.

For now here are some samples of Women on Banknotes. From the famous to the obscure.

From Algeria

Queen Elizabeth II

Rock Carvings from Sri Lanka

Liberty Leading the People from France

Spain

East Germany. Woman working on a early computer.

Pillar of the Community
Sweden
818 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2016  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add X2an to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Sweden there's been a long-ongoing debate (although not as tense) about not what women should be on banknotes, but rather what denominations they should be on. On the new note series women are in total worth less but are more frequent in circulation with the 20 SEK note featuring Astrid Lindgren being the most visible denomination in circulation. The 500 SEK note is usually used instead of a 1000 SEK note featuring Dag Hammarskjöld.

"Always assume the lowest in value for best possibilities"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2302 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2016  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SlurExe97 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indonesia's got several women on banknotes.

Tjut Nyak Dhien is on the 1998 Rp 10000. There is Kartini on the 1985 Rp 10000, and appropriately, a female graduating student on its reverse.

Those are just a couple of examples - there are actually quite a few female national heroes. There are also some commoners depicted - for example there is a weaving girl on the current Rp 5000.

A couple are on watermarks. The watermark of the 1986 Rp 5000 is Martha Christina Tiahahu. The watermark of the last Rp 1000 notes are Cut Meutia, I believe.
Valued Member
Germany
324 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2016  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The final banknote series of the ''Deutsche Mark'' (1990--2002) featured women on the 5 DM, 20 DM, 100 DM and the 500 DM note. 10 DM, 50 DM, 200 DM and 1000 DM notes featured men.
The ''total worth'' of women is less than that of the men. But that was ''compensated'' by the volume. The 100 DM was the most frequent in circulation.

Edited by redlock
01/03/2016 03:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2685 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2016  04:18 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The current English five-pound note has women on both sides - Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse and prison reformer Elizabeth Fry on the reverse:

... and here's an Austrian 100-schilling note with 18th-century painter Angelica Kauffmann, who was one of the founders of the Royal Academy in London:

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2016  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MinneCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would assume QEII is the record holder for most variety of notes (thus far). Would assume her to be the case on coins as well, unless it's Queen Victoria.
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  09:51 am  Show Profile   Check ARcoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ARcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wanted to put this one on this thread too.

Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check ARcoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ARcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My apologies...Couldn't resist...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2016  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2016  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Net-Steals to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, since I am voting for her... she should be on a $100... $10 is too cheap for her... LOL..

Well, if you look, there are quite a few countries with women on the notes(that leaves me thinking what U.S has been doing until now? even Canada, our friends up north has long been using QEII on their notes, though there are talks that the next U.S. Dollar will have women on the $20). Norway, Sweden, Denmark, South Korea(my native land), Indonesia, Germany(before Euro),Australia, Austria, Mexico, Colombia(10000 Peso which is among my favorite), North Korea(well, on some of their lower denominations), Eritrea, and so many other nations in the world. Women on the notes is a great idea on the society we live in these days when equality matters, well, on paper at least in seems...
Edited by Net-Steals
07/24/2016 11:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2685 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2016  06:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's Lady Lavery on an Irish pound note:

and I'm not sure who this young woman from Northern Ireland is:

Edited by NumisRob
08/20/2016 4:48 pm
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2016  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Net-Steals to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 5 Pounds note in UNC condition from Northern Ireland is one of the note that I've been searching for, for ages. No-one seems to have this on sale in UNC condition, and the few who have it sometimes asks too much for it... Well...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2685 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2016  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That 5 Pounds note in UNC condition from Northern Ireland is one of the note that I've been searching for, for ages.

Mine unfortunately has some ballpoint pen markings on it. A colleague brought it back from a work trip there some years ago.

Here's another pleasant looking young lady on an inflationary note from the former Yugoslavia:

Edited by NumisRob
08/20/2016 4:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2701 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a favorite of mine within this genre, plenty of femininity gracing this German 1908 Series 100 Mark note....

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
2701 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple more that have an added interest in representing episodes of out of control inflation and a collapse of the currency represented.

The high denomination top note is from Hungary in 1946, and was very shortlived.

The bottom note is from Brazil, stamped in 1967 to devalue it from 50 Cruzeiros to 5 Centavos (a ratio of 1,000:1).

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3140 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2016  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Chinese 5 jiao, one of the most common notes for this theme.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05