Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hu-Peh Province One Tael Is It Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2016  1:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add akamataa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First some pictures.

It is silver 99 percent pure, 36.1 grams. From what I understand that could mean it's real..?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5790 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2016  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Real specimens would have reeds on the edge, which yours does not have. It also seems quite thick--I suppose they made it thicker so that the weight would be the same as a genuine one.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2016  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enlarged and am certain it is not genuine.
Why not post thickness and diameter too?
That can provide more proof.
Here's a fingerprint to look for that denotes an ordinary fake:
That rosette at 5 o'clock position should be composed of 7 distinct dots.
But your looks like it is 4 dots on either side of a row of 3 merged blobs. Does you item look like this?
Also note that this coin was made as official in .877 silver. So if yours really is 99 percent pure it's not a genuine, but rather a replica or imitation.

Edited by Albert
02/01/2016 3:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Austria
513 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2016  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinworldtv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake!
Checkout my eBay Store: www.CoinWorldTV.com /// Quality World Coins and Medals Auction listings, starting as low as 99 Cents and Without Reserve! ///
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2016  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add akamataa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Darn oh well thanks guys! One can always hope.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3173 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2016  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This can never be genuine. Genuine coins are excessively rare and command serious prices. This is easily in terms of tens of thousands.

As far as I am concerned, the details are just not right. Color looks more like a nickel copper alloy and I am certain it is not genuine. The weight of this 'token' would not be close to a tael either which is around 38 grams from memory.

Essentially all genuine machine struck tael coins except from Sinkiang Province are very scarce to rare.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
United Arab Emirates
1 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add haythamghareeb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I know this is an old thread but while searching google, I found it. I found this coin with a friend and wanted to know if it is worth something. I can'r read Chinese so I don't know if there is a date on it.

Learn More...
United States
81250 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
13240 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome.

Sadly, your coin is not genuine. As noted above, there were no 1 tael coins issued for circulation; the only such coins produced were patterns, made in Europe by European mints keen to convince the Chinese government to buy their coin presses. In the end, China chose to produce coins on the dollar standard, rather than the tael standard.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05